The violence of austerity

llap

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RIchard Britten said:

Its not about making money, its about acting like you are some benevolent Jesus figure for paying people for their time and expertise.

It's about jobs and income for most people looking to earn their sixpence. An employer provides that income. They're not all bad, maybe your AG 'experience' has clouded your judgement? Bit of a false dilemma imo... 

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

It's about jobs and income for most people looking to earn their sixpence. An employer provides that income. They're not all bad, maybe your AG 'experience' has clouded your judgement? Bit of a false dilemma imo... 

There is a difference between being an employer and being a "holier than thou" - be grateful for the opportunity to whore your expertise for my gain employer.

HNWI would not be where they are without the actual sweat of people who know what they are doing.

Since the advent of the robber - barons it has always been so. An unfortunate phenomenon but there it is. Any alternative arrangement? These "jesus wealth creators", are you saying we all have their cross to bear? 

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

Since the advent of the robber - barons it has always been so. An unfortunate phenomenon but there it is. Any alternative arrangement? These "jesus wealth creators", are you saying we all have their cross to bear? 

No its more the "I am doing you a favour by giving you a job" where the reality is more like "if you cant find someone to do X job, you aren't able to do it yourself"

1 hour ago, woolley said:

@ PK and Richard: Taken away totally the wrong message as usual.

I dispute that.

Signing a cheque is easy. The 'work' of a moment.

Giving up your time and getting your hands dirty is an entirely different thing.

For a start it's an experience and as we all know experience can age you. Unlike writing a cheque....

6 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I dispute that.

Giving up your time and getting your hands dirty is an entirely different thing.

For a start it's an experience and as we all know experience can age you. Unlike writing a cheque....

Of course it is PK. Writing a cheque is simple. It's getting into the position to be able to that is a bit more difficult.

And I take it you missed this bit in my post: Not content with that some of us also give our time and expertise freely to the most desperate in society.

20 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I dispute that.

I'd agree with most of that but the desired end result from both methods is assistance to charity. It's the benefit derived, even if it's just some bod writing a gregory. Because one method appears more selfless than the other, the altruistic gesture is the same.

3 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Indeed.  When people talk about "wealth creators" you have to wonder who they are creating wealth for (big hint: its not for other people).

"paying money into their bank accounts on a regular basis " - do they doff their caps as well, to show how grateful they are for giving them money?

I also wonder how much of a tax claw back Woolster claims....

Of course it is "for other people". It's for everyone. Companies pay far more in salaries and taxes then their proprietors ever make for themselves. You can't have one without the other. It's how the system works. I know all of your arguments. I used to be a communist.

15 minutes ago, woolley said:

Of course it is PK. Writing a cheque is simple. It's getting into the position to be able to that is a bit more difficult.

And I take it you missed this bit in my post: Not content with that some of us also give our time and expertise freely to the most desperate in society.

Fair shout.

Archived