Police vs Castletown Festival

TheTeapot

So, if the organising committee had been granted a music licence would that guarantee there'd be no drunks and underage drinkers causing problems (that's assuming the organisers weren't selling alcohol directly to the festival goers)? I don't see how a music licence would make that much of a difference.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...... it's the establishments that sell the alcohol that should be taken to task, both off and on-licence premises. The threat of a licence withdrawal would sharpen a few minds. But it's obvious that the kerching of the cash till is more important than abiding by the law, especially when you can get away with it.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, manxb&b said:

However, earlier this summer the Constabulary received new legal advice from the HM Attorney General’s Chambers, which clearly indicated that the Castletown Festival committee could no longer rely on the philanthropy clause as it had in previous years. The Constabulary advised the committee well in advance of the Festival that it should seek a licence for the evening part of the programme. The Constabulary was prepared to work with the organisers and support the granting of a licence, subject to reasonable conditions being put in place, based around the Event Safety Guide.

I thought that any change in the law should be passed by Tynwald? Is the AG making it up as he goes along? 

What exactly are the festival organisers going to be able to do to stop people either drinking irresponsibly or serving alcohol irresponsibly? 

Edited by Max Power

47 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I thought that any change in the law should be passed by Tynwald? Is the AG making it up as he goes along? 

It's almost as if the police wanted something to force organisers to take greater responsibility for attendees' behaviour in the evening, such as making the event subject to licensing laws and conditions that hadn't applied for six decades, and the ever-obliging attorney general's chambers were only too happy to produce a revised legal opinion to suit.

It's good to know both bodies are independent and could not be suspected of collusion.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, censorship said:

It's almost as if the police wanted something to force organisers to take greater responsibility for attendees' behaviour in the evening, such as making the event subject to licensing laws and conditions that hadn't applied for six decades, and the ever-obliging attorney general's chambers were only too happy to produce a revised legal opinion to suit.

It's good to know both bodies are independent and could not be suspected of collusion.

29 minutes ago, censorship said:

Should that read 'I totally agree with whatever the police do, always'?

Not far wrong there to be honest.( Maybe just 98% of the time).:)

I have no axe to grind, unlike you. You are very sad really.

Edited by dilligaf
added the "no"
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, censorship said:

Lol

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, censorship said:

Looks like TB has weighed in on FB:

Tony Brown

I have read the statement very carefully and I was a member and chairman of the Castletown Festival Committee for 36 years. I can assure the public that the Festival has always taken its responsibilities seriously, including and especially public safety. Whoever wrote this Police statement I would suggest has not read the Police file thoroughly, or they would know that much in their statement is incorrect. The area under the control of the Festival as covered by the road closure order for which The Festival has responsibility is fully and appropriately managed by the Festival, and this has continued to be the case. The Festival has always worked closely with the Police, and in doing so has introduced many changes in recent years to how the event is controlled and managed, which is done by the committee with its volunteers. The Festival has always supported the Police in taking appropriate actions to Police the areas outside the closed Festival area, which are public areas e.g. Highways, over which the Festival has no authority to manage or control. The Festival stewards have however reported incidents to the police and the officers in attendance have always been responsive, in fact the relationship with the police officers in attendance has always been very good. The Festival have always supported measures taken by the police to deal with underage drinkers, and the Festival has always worked closely with the police on this area. The Festival agreed last year after one of its regular discussions with the Police to erect additional barriers and create entrance points manned by Festival stewards to help deal with any issues that could arise from attendees at the Festival.
As far as I recall a police officer was unfortunately assaulted in 2013, and the Festival fully supported the action taken by the police and the court against the individual. I can state that the police have for a number of years wanted the Festival to stop at 6.00pm, and this has been where the main difference of opinion occurs. The police know that this can be achieved by the police if they can require the Festival to obtain a license.
The issue is quite straight forward in that the Festival is a Philanthropic organization and as such is exempt by law from the need to obtain a music and dance license ( as are other organizations) that in no way means that the Festival does not fully accept its responsibilities, and I think it is disingenuous to indicate, as the police statement does, that the Festival committee does not, especially when the police know that they do.
I am sure the Festival will respond as appropriatej in due course, and the above comments are mine as the former chairman.
Finally I stepped down from the Committee last year to encourage new blood to take over. I think they did a great job for the town under very difficult circumstances, well done.

Unquote

45 minutes ago, yorik said:

Looks like TB has weighed in on FB:

Tony Brown

I have read the statement very carefully and I was a member and chairman of the Castletown Festival Committee for 36 years. I can assure the public that the Festival has always taken its responsibilities seriously, including and especially public safety. Whoever wrote this Police statement I would suggest has not read the Police file thoroughly, or they would know that much in their statement is incorrect. The area under the control of the Festival as covered by the road closure order for which The Festival has responsibility is fully and appropriately managed by the Festival, and this has continued to be the case. The Festival has always worked closely with the Police, and in doing so has introduced many changes in recent years to how the event is controlled and managed, which is done by the committee with its volunteers. The Festival has always supported the Police in taking appropriate actions to Police the areas outside the closed Festival area, which are public areas e.g. Highways, over which the Festival has no authority to manage or control. The Festival stewards have however reported incidents to the police and the officers in attendance have always been responsive, in fact the relationship with the police officers in attendance has always been very good. The Festival have always supported measures taken by the police to deal with underage drinkers, and the Festival has always worked closely with the police on this area. The Festival agreed last year after one of its regular discussions with the Police to erect additional barriers and create entrance points manned by Festival stewards to help deal with any issues that could arise from attendees at the Festival.
As far as I recall a police officer was unfortunately assaulted in 2013, and the Festival fully supported the action taken by the police and the court against the individual. I can state that the police have for a number of years wanted the Festival to stop at 6.00pm, and this has been where the main difference of opinion occurs. The police know that this can be achieved by the police if they can require the Festival to obtain a license.
The issue is quite straight forward in that the Festival is a Philanthropic organization and as such is exempt by law from the need to obtain a music and dance license ( as are other organizations) that in no way means that the Festival does not fully accept its responsibilities, and I think it is disingenuous to indicate, as the police statement does, that the Festival committee does not, especially when the police know that they do.
I am sure the Festival will respond as appropriatej in due course, and the above comments are mine as the former chairman.
Finally I stepped down from the Committee last year to encourage new blood to take over. I think they did a great job for the town under very difficult circumstances, well done.

Unquote

Alas poor Yorik. 

Well somebody had to say it ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, censorship said:

Should that read 'I totally agree with whatever the police do, always'?

Probably not, and yet your posts should certainly come with a "I totally disagree whatever the police do" warning on the packet. 

• Like 2