Danish Ship Georg Stage

Stavros

The Sail Training Ship Georg Stage arrives in Douglas tomorrow, Wednesday 13 July, departing Friday 15 July.

The ship will be open to the public, subject to weather conditions, on the Victoria Pier each evening from 1800hrs – 2000hrs.

g-stage.jpg

A 3-masted full-rigged ship with a 200 HP auxiliary Diesel engine, 298 tons gross, 185 tons net, waterline length 123.8 feet, beam 27,8 feet, draught 13 feet, height of main top 98 feet above waterline, 20 sails of 9250 sq.ft (850 sq m) in total.

Built in 1934 in Fredrikshavn, the Georg Stage replaced the previous vessel of that name as a sail training ship for the Danish merchant marine. She is a full-rigged ship carrying royals over single topgallant sails and double topsails, and is equipped with an auxiliary engine.

She carries 63 cadets, usually about 40-42 boys and 20-21 girls.

The adult crew consists of the Captain and six officers, including an engineer and catering officer.

In addition there are three quartermasters and accommodation for a doctor. The captain (Karl Zilmer), the chief officer and between two and three officers form the permanent staff. The other adults are signed on for the season only.

"One road leads to London.

One road runs to Wales.

My road leads me seawards

To the white dipping sails.

John Masefield (1878-1967)

Stav.

I know - i looked out my window last night and thought I lived in Cannes or something! Have to say, Douglas bay is so pretty at night with all the lights and everything, and to have those boats in the bay makes me very sad to leave.

One of the advantages of working through most of the night is that Douglas Promenade and Bay - without daylight to point out it's faults and unfortunate features - can appear exceptionally beautiful. It's less true at the weekends, of course, when the Promenade is littered with chip cartons and discarded bottles and glasses.

On recent nights, however, long after the spectacular sunsets have faded and the traffic has more or less ceased, the wonderful stillness creates a picture of genuine beauty and splendour.

Archived