Charlottesville

RIchard Britten

Wish it away all you like but as long as there are humans there will be what we call "racism". It is human nature to have an affinity with your own kind and the flip side of that is a suspicion of others. Politicians speak of consigning it to history but they never will. Political correctness will never achieve a global reach or anything like it so it will remain token lip service.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, woolley said:

Wish it away all you like but as long as there are humans there will be what we call "racism". It is human nature to have an affinity with your own kind ............

Speak for yourself. My own kind are nice people. I could not give two flying forks what race or colour they are.

31 minutes ago, woolley said:

Me neither. I'm being objective, not subjective.

I apologise. I am just saying, I think we need to make an effort to not give these idiots even more ammunition by talk of one's "own kind". They take all this out context and spew it in a way that is not what you intend.

Government snitch/informant Al Sharpton is actually calling for the taking down of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington. There's a pastor calling for the taking down of a statue of George Washington from Washington Park in Chicago. Do the IOM's self-appointed PC Brigade also think these are good ideas? Seems like a deliberate wind up to me. We have video footage of the taking down of the Civil War monuments, thus disproving the claim earlier in the thread that this was all just based on rumours.

There seems to be some kind of global movement to remove historical statues. There was the Rhodes Must Fall thing at Oxford

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodes_Must_Fall

and others at various institutions. Decolonising education I think it was called. They were given oxygen by leftist organisations of one type or another e.g. students unions. They think they can rewrite history through this tokenist nonsense and they know that it is inflammatory to the right. As Trump said - you can't change history but you can learn from it.

Where does it end? Perhaps they should remove the Statue of Liberty in deference to native Americans.

9 hours ago, Aristotle said:

Government snitch/informant Al Sharpton is actually calling for the taking down of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington. There's a pastor calling for the taking down of a statue of George Washington from Washington Park in Chicago. Do the IOM's self-appointed PC Brigade also think these are good ideas?

I would be cool with that - anti-British rebels!

Actually, it is a difficult question because values change over time and the importance of various be-plinthed figures fades as history moves on. Will 200 years from now our descendants feel that a statue of George Formby needs to be outside the town hall? You could understand them moving it to the museum. 

I'm thinking maybe we've reached that point with Rhodes and Colston, and British cities could perhaps use that space to celebrate more worthy people. 

However, there are some people that take a long time to fade from history and that includes those involved in the birth of a nation, like Jefferson and Washington. So whilst history shouldn't be blind to their flaws, it can't allow the flaws to blind us to their achievements either. 

Archived