Lingerie tycoon looks set to make IOM her new home

Aristotle

13 minutes ago, Tarne said:

They got the funds by selling bitcoin. Where did the bitcoin come from? No idea, pretty anonymous. 

But Bitcoin transactions are recorded. There is no reason why someone buying a property with bitcoin should not have to show the accounting. The currency is irrelevant. That's what I am asking - doesn't Dubai have normal AML regulation with respect to property sales?

Every bitcoin transaction is recorded in the blockchain yes. But it's still anonymous, that's why it's used for black market transactions across the globe. You have numerous "dirty" bitcoin wallets sending money to another wallet, it gets sent to another wallet which is the deposit for an exchange like coincorner (which is headquartered here). Then you shift them from the exchange into another clean wallet. Might not even be the same bitcoin as you deposited. Who owns those other wallets? Don't care, just bought a property in Dubai.  

I really regret not getting into it early on. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Every bitcoin transaction is recorded in the blockchain yes. But it's still anonymous, that's why it's used for black market transactions across the globe. You have numerous "dirty" bitcoin wallets sending money to another wallet, it gets sent to another wallet which is the deposit for an exchange like coincorner (which is headquartered here). Then you shift them from the exchange into another clean wallet. Might not even be the same bitcoin as you deposited. Who owns those other wallets? Don't care, just bought a property in Dubai.  

I really regret not getting into it early on. 

I'm well aware of how bitcoin works. I don't need it explaining :)

What I am asking about is AML regulation in Dubai. Because that's the issue with respect to a property transaction. Same as it would be here. Irrespective of the currency. It's the property sale that's the thing.

I don't care especially - only that I am curious. 

• 1 year later...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/baroness-mone-and-doug-barrowman-to-marry/

Top Billing from the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece!

Perhaps Manx Radio want broadcasting rights to the wedding? Maybe IOM Newspapers are doing an OK/Hello spread? I’m sure Tynpotwalders will be wanting to get some of the crumbs - and an opportunity for invite to the big day, something to tell their constituents that they have hit the big time. 

Sorry for the cynicism!