Lingerie tycoon looks set to make IOM her new home

Aristotle

3 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Silly article. Legitimate business, is what it is.

If the article was about them aggressively battering people who owed money it's a different story.

As much as both Doug Barrowman and Michelle Mone very much divide opinion, in turn creating negative headlines and publicity which impacts in turn on the island, it can be said the they both seen as fair game and throwing allegations and stories in the hope that something sticks. Besides is this business any different than some of the Manx well known finance companies? 

• Like 1

Michelle Mone's business husband Doug Barrowman 'faces jail if convicted of Spanish tax charge'

• Mr Barrowman could face being sentenced to time in prison if convicted
  • He has been accused of corporate tax evasion alongside six other UK nationals
  • It is alleged he benefitted from a 'fraudulent' invoice 'created to hide a payment'
  • All seven men deny the charges against them 

PUBLISHED: 16:42 GMT, 17 December 2022 | UPDATED: 16:42 GMT, 17 December 2022

Tory peer Michelle Mone's billionaire businessman husband Doug Barrowman, 57, could face incarceration if convicted of an alleged tax crime in Spain.

Prosecutors in Santander confirmed they were seeking custodial sentences for seven executives if found guilty ahead of their trial at a court in the northern Spanish city. 

The five-day public hearing was due to start late last month but was suspended at the eleventh-hour and has just been rescheduled for next May.

Top Stories by Daily Mail00:4101:00

Mr Barrowman's indictment relates to claims a 'fraudulent' invoice he and six partners allegedly benefitted from, was used to allegedly evade tax and take millions of pounds out of a Spanish company and into their pockets before it went bankrupt and led to 200 workers at a cable factory near Santander losing their jobs.

I can’t understand why people avoid/evade tax. Somehow we need to change the mentality and become more Scandi/Germanic where paying tax is seen as a good thing, you’re contributing to society and if you’re lucky enough to be wealthy you’re giving something back in thanks for your good fortune. 

Am I being naive? If I earned millions from selling knickers I’d be delighted to give 20% of it to the government for the greater good. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I can’t understand why people avoid/evade tax. Somehow we need to change the mentality and become more Scandi/Germanic where paying tax is seen as a good thing, you’re contributing to society and if you’re lucky enough to be wealthy you’re giving something back in thanks for your good fortune. 

Am I being naive? If I earned millions from selling knickers I’d be delighted to give 20% of it to the government for the greater good. 

As you're in medicine I'd have thought you'd have heard of the greedy gland!

• Like 1

I've just been reading this thread through  back from the start. The plaudits and worship for Mr and Mrs, (from the usual suspects), they could do no wrong and were to be part of the salvation and the hope in what they were going to bring to the Island....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thorulf said:

Here is a link to a video of Mr Barrowman buying a new super yacht. The house in the film is the one down St Marks that is for sale for 25Mil.  

The St Marks place doesn't seem to be up for sale anymore (nor for some time).  In one of the unemployment tribunals they faced, there was talk about them moving to Jersey but a sale of it having fallen through.  So they're having to slum it here.

(I fear Roxanne may be at risk of libel suits from the Japanese adult entertainment industry).

11 hours ago, Beyond Belief said:

Michelle Mone's business husband Doug Barrowman 'faces jail if convicted of Spanish tax charge'

• Mr Barrowman could face being sentenced to time in prison if convicted
  • He has been accused of corporate tax evasion alongside six other UK nationals
  • It is alleged he benefitted from a 'fraudulent' invoice 'created to hide a payment'
  • All seven men deny the charges against them 

PUBLISHED: 16:42 GMT, 17 December 2022 | UPDATED: 16:42 GMT, 17 December 2022

Tory peer Michelle Mone's billionaire businessman husband Doug Barrowman, 57, could face incarceration if convicted of an alleged tax crime in Spain.

Prosecutors in Santander confirmed they were seeking custodial sentences for seven executives if found guilty ahead of their trial at a court in the northern Spanish city. 

The five-day public hearing was due to start late last month but was suspended at the eleventh-hour and has just been rescheduled for next May.

Top Stories by Daily Mail00:4101:00

Mr Barrowman's indictment relates to claims a 'fraudulent' invoice he and six partners allegedly benefitted from, was used to allegedly evade tax and take millions of pounds out of a Spanish company and into their pockets before it went bankrupt and led to 200 workers at a cable factory near Santander losing their jobs.

being sentenced to time in prison and actually serving time in prison are not necessarily the same thing , especially when you have money and connections.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Still not a squeak or a whisper from any of our politicos and leaders about this ongoing farrago. No one dares to. Mouths kept tightly shut despite it involving a wealthy celebrity resident with a multi-million Island property. Not much from the media either.

they are all hoping the lingering tycoon melts away quietly.