Lingerie tycoon looks set to make IOM her new home

Aristotle

55 minutes ago, ADELE said:

So where did the money go to there must be a paper trail leading somewhere.

According to David Conn (who won the Paul Foot Award for this work):

The leaked documents, which were produced by the bank HSBC, appear to contradict that statement. They state that Mone’s husband, the Isle of Man-based financier Douglas Barrowman, was paid at least £65m in profits from PPE Medpro, and then distributed the funds through a series of offshore accounts, trusts and companies.

The ultimate recipients of the funds, the documents indicate, include the Isle of Man trust that was set up to benefit Mone, who was Barrowman’s fiancee at the time, and her children. In October 2020, the documents add, Barrowman transferred to the trust £28.8m originating from PPE Medpro profits.

Getting access to the paper trail, never mind the money, will be a different matter.  But so many people who matter in the UK were involved in similar scams, that I suspect nothing will ever be recovered even from the most blatant and publicised cases.

• Like 2

It makes one wonder what HMRC might think or do if they are able to conclusively establish that IoM-based entities have been used to facilitate a rip off of they and the UK taxpayer to the degree that it would appear and also enable the money to vanish without trace.

Watch this space...?

Might as well use this thread. A complete derail. But, just witnessed a light aeroplane flying very low through the Foxdale St marks Valley and somewhere landed abouts Barrowmans  pad. I’m not a where of a landing strip near there. Any ideas? 

32 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Might as well use this thread. A complete derail. But, just witnessed a light aeroplane flying very low through the Foxdale St marks Valley and somewhere landed abouts Barrowmans  pad. I’m not a where of a landing strip near there. Any ideas? 

Didn’t know there were many landing strips on the island? Thought it was Mount Rule International Airport. 

On 7/8/2023 at 6:25 PM, ADELE said:

So where did the money go to there must be a paper trail leading somewhere.

It’ll lead to a “privacy jurisdiction” in the Caribbean and that’s the last anyone will see of it.

Barrowman didn’t get rich leaving a paper trail.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 7:26 PM, Roger Mexico said:

But so many people who matter in the UK were involved in similar scams, that I suspect nothing will ever be recovered even from the most blatant and publicised cases.

The UK Govt has warehouses full of PPE that they are never going to use after panic buying and paying over the odds. 

They are going through contracts with a fine tooth comb, trying to find any way of going against the suppliers.  

As far as I understand there is nothing wrong with the PPE that Barrowman supplied, other than it's not 'triple bagged' which there are some vagaries in the contract about. 

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

The UK Govt has warehouses full of PPE that they are never going to use after panic buying and paying over the odds. 

They are going through contracts with a fine tooth comb, trying to find any way of going against the suppliers.  

As far as I understand there is nothing wrong with the PPE that Barrowman supplied, other than it's not 'triple bagged' which there are some vagaries in the contract about. 

Nothing vague about it having to be sterile!

• Like 1