Lingerie tycoon looks set to make IOM her new home

Aristotle

The other article, below the one you posted (no point in linking it's behind the pay-wall) explains something in 2 words about the ministers' reaction when Covid emerged -- "... government.. Panic-bought..." the PPE from the company. Should government accept some responsibility for their rush to do business? Leaving aside any false-pretence by the seller, aren't we all subject to caveat emptor; 'let the buyer beware'?

14 minutes ago, quilp said:

The other article, below the one you posted (no point in linking it's behind the pay-wall) explains something in 2 words about the ministers' reaction when Covid emerged -- "... government.. Panic-bought..." the PPE from the company. Should government accept some responsibility for their rush to do business? Leaving aside any false-pretence by the seller, aren't we all subject to caveat emptor; 'let the buyer beware'?

but when you're a government you can change the rules and laws to get your own back so to speak.

47 minutes ago, WTF said:

but when you're a government you can change the rules and laws to get your own back so to speak.

What the various Covid inquiries are proving is that they all shat themselves then went off like headless chickens trying to justify exactly how and when they shat themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, quilp said:

2 hours ago, WTF said:

Yep, that's exactly what they are doing. As I've said elsewhere in this thread, they're going through all the contracts with a fine tooth comb to try and recoup some of their panic buying. Ignoring the whole Mone Peer lobbying aspect, the only issue with the PPE that was supplied by Medpro was some small print about it being triple bagged.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

What the various Covid inquiries are proving is that they all shat themselves then went off like headless chickens trying to justify exactly how and when they shat themselves. 

Before my time in politics, but I think many of us ‘shat ourselves’ at the start of Covid, especially the impact in places like Italy and images of people dying in overloaded hospital corridors. It’s easy to look back knowing what we (assume we) know now, but this was being touted as a new Black Death and I can completely understand governments doing whatever they thought would provide things like PPI to save lives. The bad actors in all that are those who leveraged a global health panic into obscene profits, often for useless tat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

The bad actors in all that are those who leveraged a global health panic into obscene profits, often for useless tat.

So I take it that you for sure will be applauding if/when this IOM tax contributing ultra HNW gets hung out to dry for this? 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Before my time in politics, but I think many of us ‘shat ourselves’ at the start of Covid, especially the impact in places like Italy and images of people dying in overloaded hospital corridors. It’s easy to look back knowing what we (assume we) know now, but this was being touted as a new Black Death and I can completely understand governments doing whatever they thought would provide things like PPI to save lives. The bad actors in all that are those who leveraged a global health panic into obscene profits, often for useless tat.

Only by the relevant governments in their quest to control the populace...

31 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

[...] I can completely understand governments doing whatever they thought would provide things like PPI to save lives. The bad actors in all that are those who leveraged a global health panic into obscene profits, often for useless tat.

Except the way they went about it wasn't to ask the people in the NHS who normally sourced PPE to increase their efforts and maybe provide extra support to them.  It was to  provide a 'special channel' for well-connected Tories (not the rest of us) to put forward their preferred candidates.  Money no object.  They reacted like that because that is how they want the system to operate; panic didn't come into it, they knew exactly what they were doing.

Mone and Barrowman may have been singled out because they weren't as socially well connected as the other or because they have resisted giving back even a token amount.  But the whole system was corrupt.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Passing Time said:
50 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

(…) the impact in places like Italy and images of people dying in overloaded hospital corridors. It’s easy to look back knowing what we (assume we) know now, but this was being touted as a new Black Death and I can completely understand governments doing whatever they thought would provide things like PPI to save lives.

Only by the relevant governments in their quest to control the populace...

So you say.

Did you see any of the early footage from the Italian hospitals?   If so, what did you think was happening?   Or did you think the footage had been faked in a “quest to control the populace”?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

So I take it that you for sure will be applauding if/when this IOM tax contributing ultra HNW gets hung out to dry for this? 

Absolutely, if that is the eventual judgement. Nobody should be above the law, but as I said in a speech in Tynwald this week, courts can only decide points of law and not make moral judgements.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Except the way they went about it wasn't to ask the people in the NHS who normally sourced PPE to increase their efforts and maybe provide extra support to them.  It was to  provide a 'special channel' for well-connected Tories (not the rest of us) to put forward their preferred candidates.  Money no object.  They reacted like that because that is how they want the system to operate; panic didn't come into it, they knew exactly what they were doing.

Mone and Barrowman may have been singled out because they weren't as socially well connected as the other or because they have resisted giving back even a token amount.  But the whole system was corrupt.

I think that’s because 99% of the PPE came from China - who kept it all for themselves - so the usual supply chain was broken. 

• Like 1