Lingerie tycoon looks set to make IOM her new home

Aristotle

Richard Brooks has tweeted to remind people that these crooks are not the only ones. Private Eye's Profits of Doom special is available here for those interested (PDF) https://www.private-eye.co.uk/pictures/special_reports/profits-of-doom.pdf (the Isle of Man gets a couple of mentions)

David Conn wrote a piece a while ago which highlighted the times these crooks had their lawyers contact the Guardian denying their involvement:

In November 2020, Mone’s lawyer asserted that “Baroness Mone is not connected in any way with PPE Medpro”. Barrowman’s lawyers repeatedly denied that he was an investor in the company or a consortium supporting it, and said he “never had any role or function in PPE Medpro”.

In December 2020, a lawyer instructed by Mone and Barrowman said “any suggestion of an association” between the Tory peer and PPE Medpro would be “inaccurate”, “misleading” and “defamatory”.

And in February 2022, Mone’s lawyer wrote: “You [the Guardian] have now been placed on notice on numerous occasions of our client’s position in relation to PPE Medpro. She has no involvement in the business … She has never had any role or function in PPE Medpro, nor in the process by which contracts were awarded to PPE Medpro.”

The whole VIP lane thing was a disgrace.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

With all this publicity, interviews and wall to wall press coverage, I’m sure there will be publicity for the IOM? Probably negative ……….. another success story relating to IOMG HNWI policy. 

with all this publicity , the next thing they will be saying is she cant get a fair trial  as everything has been prejudged and possible jurors influenced  by the media , just watch this space !

Mone makes it onto John Crace's "Villains of 2023" list:

Michelle Mone

Remember the pandemic? That time of collective national trauma when everyone – with the obvious exception of anyone working inside No 10 – pulled together. Tried to do the right thing. For the collective good. Well, it turns out that we were all mugs. Because for the sharper mortals, the Covid years were primarily the perfect business opportunity. A chance for chancers to make a killing. Step forward Michelle Mone. Or Baroness Mone, as she has been titled since 2015 when she was admitted to the Lords for services to lingerie. Or something. In November, she suddenly remembered she had, in fact, had something to do with PPE Medpro, a company created at the start of the pandemic that had zero track record in making PPE. What Mone did have, however, was the gift of the gab and she had the contacts. So she started lobbying ministers for PPE Medpro to be included in the PPE contracts “VIP” lane – whoever would have guessed that a VIP lane would be abused? This, remember, was for a company that hadn’t even been incorporated, let alone manufactured any PPE. The company went on to win more than £200m in PPE contracts (and some of the PPE was allegedly defective) while Mone managed to squirrel away £29m into an Isle of Man account. The government is now suing PPE Medpro for £122m plus costs. It’s people like Mone who made Britain ­great.

Villainy in a nutshell What’s the point of a pandemic, if not making yourself rich?
If they were a movie villain Mean Girls’ Regina George. Stop trying to make fetch PPE happen!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/16/john-crace-on-the-villains-of-2023

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Amazing interview. 

Amazing as in amazingly bad and ill-conceived. She is a clear narcissist indulging in clear narcissistic behaviour. If it’s all that bad and you’re suffering so much just hand the bloody money back. Of all the things she discussed that clearly wasn’t one of them other than to say she had been advised against it. Crocodile tears - I’m so sorry that I got caught, and I’m so sorry that I’ve been exposed, but I’m not quite sorry enough to hand back any of the £60,000,000 we made. 

• Like 2

If she and her husband had just compensated the Government for the faulty merchandise all this negative publicity and possibly further consequences could have been avoided.     Who will go near them now and partake in any future business deals with them ?    They should have taken the hit it is not as if they really needed the money.     They have been really badly advised in this matter, that is of course if they have been open to advice.

Jugs apart, I have no real like or dislike of MM or DB

If you step back from the profit they made on the deal, which in my opinion is perfectly okay at 30%, (I am not in the clothing industry but I am told 100% profit is more normal for this type of deal)  then what is everyone's problem?

They saw a business opportunity, had the contacts/ access to the funds to make it happen and risked a hundred million, at least, of their own money (And 2 other investors)  to turn a profit.

That is how the world works, well the capitalist bit of the world anyway.

In the UK press She has been pilloried/ and or lauded because of her well know assets, I have done the same, cracking Rack etc, but that does not make her/ them bad people.

Most VERY successful business/ sport people I have ever met are both OCD and ruthless in their dealings.

This personality trait does wind people up but without people like this we would be sitting in caves throwing sh1t at each other....... 🙂 - See Your Tynwald debates as evidence.............

How do we know if the gowns, which seem to be the problem, are as per NHS specification or not?

We do not have sight of the said supplied items or the contract terms.

Having seen IOMG "Portal" terms and conditions which seem to have been written by children, ignoring every industry standard contract,  I can bet that they did supply as asked and this really is just a witch hunt due to their - more likely Lady Moan's - high profile.

Innocent until proved guilty is a well worn phrase and I think we should all think about that for a while before we judge people who are richer than most peoples wildest dreams.

They both came from nothing as in, no family money and ignoring all the above, that alone should make you respect them.

ETA - Flame away

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Innocent until proved guilty is a well worn phrase and I think we should all think about that for a while before we judge people who are richer than most peoples wildest dreams.

They both came from nothing as in, no family money and ignoring all the above, that alone should make you respect them.

ETA - Flame away

She now admits being a complete liar. 

Do we respect she admits it,or just the fact she's a liar?

50 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Jugs apart, I have no real like or dislike of MM or DB

If you step back from the profit they made on the deal, which in my opinion is perfectly okay at 30%, (I am not in the clothing industry but I am told 100% profit is more normal for this type of deal)  then what is everyone's problem?

They saw a business opportunity, had the contacts/ access to the funds to make it happen and risked a hundred million, at least, of their own money (And 2 other investors)  to turn a profit.

That is how the world works, well the capitalist bit of the world anyway.

In the UK press She has been pilloried/ and or lauded because of her well know assets, I have done the same, cracking Rack etc, but that does not make her/ them bad people.

Most VERY successful business/ sport people I have ever met are both OCD and ruthless in their dealings.

This personality trait does wind people up but without people like this we would be sitting in caves throwing sh1t at each other....... 🙂 - See Your Tynwald debates as evidence.............

How do we know if the gowns, which seem to be the problem, are as per NHS specification or not?

We do not have sight of the said supplied items or the contract terms.

Having seen IOMG "Portal" terms and conditions which seem to have been written by children, ignoring every industry standard contract,  I can bet that they did supply as asked and this really is just a witch hunt due to their - more likely Lady Moan's - high profile.

ETA - Flame away

Are you getting a semi over someone with lots of money again?

You should've been in government here, you'd have fit right in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, display name said:

She now admits being a complete liar. 

Do we respect she admits it,or just the fact she's a liar?

Question 1,

Have you never told a lie?

They said it was to protect their family's which I can't relate to that as I am not a public figure but I can imagine it could be bad.

Question 2

Have you ever set up and run your own business?

Question 3

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Question 1,

Have you never told a lie?

They said it was to protect their family's which I can't relate to that as I am not a public figure but I can imagine it could be bad.

Question 2

Question 3

In respect of Q.1.

I have never told a lie that was intended to cover up my exploitation of a situation that stood me to benefit from millions of pounds-worth of taxpayer's money. In particular, whilst I was part of the establishment that created that exclusive-to-it-and-its-mates opportunity. 

It's a sort of insider-dealing, IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1