Lingerie tycoon looks set to make IOM her new home

Aristotle

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

Question 1,

Have you never told a lie?

They said it was to protect their family's which I can't relate to that as I am not a public figure but I can imagine it could be bad.

Question 2

Have you ever set up and run your own business?

Question 3

Have you ever set up and run your own business?

1,  Yes,but I don't have to imagine anything to see through them,

2, Which ones?

3, Still am

8 hours ago, 2112 said:

With all this publicity, interviews and wall to wall press coverage, I’m sure there will be publicity for the IOM? Probably negative ……….. another success story relating to IOMG HNWI policy. 

He didn't say how much tax he paid on £29 million in the Isle of Man trust.

Edited by Moghrey Mie

7 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The whole VIP lane thing was a disgrace.

That's the core of this whole thing and what is being missed in the concentration on Mone.  The whole system was corrupt.  If you really want to maximise the supply of vital goods during a pandemic why do you give priority to a limited group of politically well-connected people?  Are they likely to be the only people in the country who have the required knowledge and contacts?  Even though most of them and the companies they used (if they weren't set up fresh for the purpose) had absolutely no experience in the area.

And of course many of them, like Mone, lobbied further to make sure they were chosen. But even without that the system made it clear who were the 'right' people to choose.   And those who set up the system and those who benefited (who may overlap) were those whose first reaction to a pandemic is try to find ways to con money out of the government.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

They said it was to protect their family's which I can't relate to that as I am not a public figure but I can imagine it could be bad.

They didn’t just tell a little porky though. The Guardian reported on the links and received several threatening letters from libel lawyers Carter-Fuck, saying that the Guardian’s journalism was defamatory and that they would be sued if they repeated it. Libel cases are expensive to defend, even if you win, and it has the effect of stopping journalists from doing journalism.

There’s a whole world of difference between denying something and paying Carter-Fuck to write to newspapers threatening them with libel proceedings.

Also: why would it protect her family?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

The whole system was corrupt.  If you really want to maximise the supply of vital goods during a pandemic why do you give priority to a limited group of politically well-connected people?  Are they likely to be the only people in the country who have the required knowledge and contacts?

Having Johnson in charge at the time gave full rein to the worse aspects of Tory culture and this was just one of them. He was primarily put there to allow the ERG to run riot and force their agenda through and the other facets saw their opportunities and did likewise.

All justified by the belief in being "The Natural Party of Government".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Have you never told a lie?

I've not actually seen the children in the limelight in any way.  But given that their (now adult) children stand to benefit by millions from the various financial shenanigans, I'd imagine they will be able to contain their fears long enough to take the money.  Though as her children spent their formative years watching their mother flash her boobs in the British press (the Mail still managed a couple of shots, even though she sold the bra company years ago) I can't help thinking they could have been protected earlier if that was her only worry.

And that's sort of the point.  If you're prepared to court press attention for your financial gain, then it's a bit rich to get upset about the same attention to your financial matters.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

They both came from nothing as in, no family money and ignoring all the above, that alone should make you respect them.

It doesn’t matter where you come from it’s where you end up. In her case you arguably end up in the House of Lord's abusing your position during a national crisis so that you husband can make £60,000,000 off a contract that you said you had no connection to but which you subsequently admit you do have a connection too. There is one easy way to make this situation look better and that is to hand the money back. Which seem’s to be the only thing she’s planning on not doing. 

• Like 3