Lingerie tycoon looks set to make IOM her new home

Aristotle

J K Galbraith – they don’t make ‘em like him anymore.

Reagan and Thatcher used to preach the economic fallacy i.e., benefits for the mega-rich would ‘trickle-down’ financial wellbeing to the masses of less well-offs. Many so-called ‘strivers’/ entrepreneurs lapped up this gobbledygook doctrine. They particularly embraced Thatcher’s slogan “there’s no such thing as society” as a green light to sell down the river anyone who did not belong to their immediate groups of friends and family. They ascribed to themselves a romanticised image of free-wheeling buccaneers that embodied the spirit of the 18th century naval explorers. This pair of greedy spivs (Mone and Doug) are the product of the same culture i.e., selfish, self-serving, self-justifying, and above all, shameless.

Folk on this Island must, surely, still remember the unscrupulous charlatans pretending to be the self-proclaimed virtuous financial entrepreneurial pillars of society – the Louis Group.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, code99 said:

Folk on this Island must, surely, still remember the unscrupulous charlatans pretending to be the self-proclaimed virtuous financial entrepreneurial pillars of society – the Louis Group.

And the glowing testimony given to them by one of their former employees - one R. Callister MHK.

• Confused 1

On 12/24/2023 at 4:58 PM, Twitch said:

Has trickle down economics worked anywhere in the world?

It is because of the limitations of the current system. It would work if rich people paid no tax at all, then they would have even more money to spend and the trickle-down would become a pissing-down. Poor people would appreciate being pissed down on.

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Amazingly inarticulate for such a successful person. 

Probably because it wasn't the over-riding factor in her success. One wonders if Barrowman married her for being wonderfully articulate? And vice versa.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Probably because it wasn't the over-riding factor in her success. One wonders if Barrowman married her for being wonderfully articulate? And vice versa.

Yes, what was it about inarticulate multi millionaire X which first attracted you? 

• Haha 1

On 12/24/2023 at 4:50 PM, CrazyDave said:

I didn’t mention proportions.

They pay lots of wages.  They pay VAT every time they buy a car at Jackson’s,  their airport fees help keep the place running, the building work other house put a lot of money in a lot of people’s pockets.

All of which gets respent.

Plus, a couple of hundred k of income tax before they even start.  What’s the average direct tax and No take from Joe bloggs?  About ten k a year in tax and employers NI?

Like them or not (I don’t) people like them provide jobs to keep out young people here and help keep the hospitality and other sectors that we need to grow to keep youngsters alive and growing.

What a load of rubbish.

Not proven, not recorded, not audited. Massive housing advantages over normal Manx people. (Planning permission irregularities)

Often rental property owners, screwing the population 100's of times over.

Align with the 'Establishment' who steamroll over Manx citizens.

Buying cars at Jackson's is hardly delivering true prosperity to the IOM does it?

We can do so much better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I still think my plan will work. Rich people pay no tax at all and thus spend even more money and thus increase the prosperity of poor people - to the extent that in a couple of years even the lowest paid are earning so much they don't pay tax either.

Guaranteed to work. And more logical than some of the posts here.

20 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I still think my plan will work. Rich people pay no tax at all and thus spend even more money and thus increase the prosperity of poor people - to the extent that in a couple of years even the lowest paid are earning so much they don't pay tax either.

Guaranteed to work. And more logical than some of the posts here.

Because that works so well everywhere else. You’ll find rich people don’t like to share. 

• Like 1