Lingerie tycoon looks set to make IOM her new home

Aristotle

6 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I wonder whether it will be registered in the Isle of Man?

Considering Knox has a Yacht management dept then I'd imagine so in some shape or form, as you'd assume he could get his minions to do the work for free.  Probably owned and or managed.  Although there isn't a whole of benefit to Registering Yachts here anymore. 

3 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

There's a piece in the Guardian as well.  There's not much new in it I can see.  It's the sort of thing that most of the media has been ignoring for years and are suddenly shouting about because it is convenient to notice it now (compare the Post Office Horizon scandal).  It would be wonderful if they continued to demand action against all the people who promoted these schemes, but it will probably stop at one sacrificial victim (who isn't 'one of us') as otherwise too many of the 'right' people might end up in trouble as well.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Ex-Tory peer? 

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I've seen that quoted elsewhere too...is there something we don't know? 🤔

She's no longer a member of the Conservative Party. So while she is still a Peer, she is no longer a Conservative Peer. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Ex-Tory peer? 

The official House of Lords website disagrees, though she has taken leave of absence:

image.thumb.png.7c85fcfaf5925b3b4e68710bb3a0328b.png

Though it's possible you can be a Conservative peer without being an official member of the Party and I suppose they can't withdraw the whip (which is about summoning you to vote) from someone who has put themself on leave.

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

Ex-Tory peer? 

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The official House of Lords website disagrees, though she has taken leave of absence:

image.thumb.png.7c85fcfaf5925b3b4e68710bb3a0328b.png

Though it's possible you can be a Conservative peer without being an official member of the Party and I suppose they can't withdraw the whip (which is about summoning you to vote) from someone who has put themself on leave.

Ah, the grammatical nuances of Ex-Tory Peer and Tory Ex-Peer

She voluntarily took leave of absence from the Lords in December 2022 and as a result lost the whip. You can’t be whipped if you’re not entitled to attend. That means she is not a member of the Parliamentary Conservative Party.

That may have preempted the whip being withdrawn, more likely than not.

She could still be a member of the Conservative Party, as that’s separate.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Ah, the grammatical nuances of Ex-Tory peer and Tory Ex Peer

She voluntarily took leave of absence from the Lords in December 2022 and as a result lost the whip. You can’t be whipped if you’re not entitled to attend. That means she is not a member of the Parliamentary Conservative Party.

That may have preempted the whip being withdrawn, more likely than not.

She could still be a member of the Conservative Party, as that’s separate.

Without being pedantic, if she voluntarily took a leave of absence did that mean she was not entitled to attend?  So if she decided to attend would the whip be restored?  Can she attend without the whip? 

I did wonder whether it was ex-Tory or ex-peer, but it was stated twice in the Newsnight piece. 

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Without being pedantic, if she voluntarily took a leave of absence did that mean she was not entitled to attend?  So if she decided to attend would the whip be restored?  Can she attend without the whip? 

I did wonder whether it was ex-Tory or ex-peer, but it was stated twice in the Newsnight piece. 

She not entitled attend, sit, or claim expenses. She had to apply for temporary leave of absence, a procedure that entails declaring you intend to return.

If she applied to attend again she would have to reapply for the Tory whip.

Yes, of course you can attend without a party whip. Cross Benchers, independents, Bishops, Law Lords all don’t get whipped.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, John Wright said:

She not entitled attend, sit, or claim expenses. She had to apply for temporary leave of absence, a procedure that entails declaring you intend to return.

If she applied to attend again she would have to reapply for the Tory whip.

Yes, of course you can attend without a party whip. Cross Benchers, independents, Bishops, Law Lords all don’t get whipped.

I bet the bishops get whipped. 

• Haha 1