Lingerie tycoon looks set to make IOM her new home

Aristotle

15 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Why didn't he pay private contractors to do the work?

As I understand it this was at the time the area through the village was being resurfaced, so all the labour and gear was there and ready to go. He just spotted the opportunity and asked them to carry on down the track to his gate. I'm sure he could have asked a private contractor to do the same, and I'm sure the gov would probably have let him. It was just a matter of happenstance. I'm not aware of any other private individuals or companies effectively paying to resurface what is already a public highway unless they've dug it up.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, maynragh said:

As I understand it this was at the time the area through the village was being resurfaced, so all the labour and gear was there and ready to go. He just spotted the opportunity and asked them to carry on down the track to his gate. I'm sure he could have asked a private contractor to do the same, and I'm sure the gov would probably have let him. It was just a matter of happenstance. I'm not aware of any other private individuals or companies effectively paying to resurface what is already a public highway unless they've dug it up.

I suppose it's no different to Phil Gawne finding £350,000 of spare tarmac to do outside of his house before the budget closed out. 

On 22/08/2017 at 9:02 AM, Uhtred said:

Whilst that may be true, Roger is correct that she must be tax resident in the UK to retain her seat in the Lords, regardless of how much, or how little, her tax liability may be. So she won't be living (or if you prefer tax-speak, domiciled) in the Isle of Man.

Isn't it the other way round?

If she is a member of the Lords, she is treated as UK resident and domiciled?

(s41 Constitutional Reform and Governance Act 2010)

I ask because I have never considered this before but that seems to be the effect of the provision referred to.

3 minutes ago, Phillip Dearden said:

Isn't it the other way round?

If she is a member of the Lords, she is treated as UK resident and domiciled?

(s41 Constitutional Reform and Governance Act 2010)

I ask because I have never considered this before but that seems to be the effect of the provision referred to.

That looks to be the case.  The House of Lords website is slightly vaguer about this, but the law seems quite clear and Wiki reports that several HoL members resigned their membership when the law came into effect in 2010, while others, such as Michael Ashcroft only changed their status then (though he has since resigned as well).

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Lovely article in today's Daily Mirror giving the IOM loads of publicity regarding tax avoidance - In particular focused up Doug Barrowman and Michelle Mone. It's going to take a very long time for the IOM to shed its 'dodgy' low tax haven image. 

It's a good job nobody with a brain reads the Mirror.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Lovely article in today's Daily Mirror giving the IOM loads of publicity regarding tax avoidance - In particular focused up Doug Barrowman and Michelle Mone. It's going to take a very long time for the IOM to shed its 'dodgy' low tax haven image. 

Why does nobody ever put up a link for these stories?  Naturally it's got nothing to do with Mone, but journalists feel that every story has to include a 'celebrity' nowadays.  Still it ought to serve as a warning to all those idiots who say "But it's tax avoidance not tax evasion - so it's OK".

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Why does nobody ever put up a link for these stories?  Naturally it's got nothing to do with Mone, but journalists feel that every story has to include a 'celebrity' nowadays.  Still it ought to serve as a warning to all those idiots who say "But it's tax avoidance not tax evasion - so it's OK".

No such thing as bad publicity :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Er.....but it is OK really Roger.

In fact it was so OK that HMRC knew about it and were fine about it until, well, they decided they wouldn't be fine about it. 

The comforting thing here is that Barrowman has the clout to fight them. Which won't go down well.

The rules are there. If schemes meet the rules then it's hard to have sympathy for HMRC when they start crying about people taking advantage of those rules.

• Like 3