RBS Treated Business Customers Badly

Max Power

RBS were no better than mobsters with this outfit; moving in on struggling businesses under the guise of helping them out, but really to bankrupt them. It was like an episode of The Sopranos. More of them should have gone to jail over this. I doubt things have changed that much since and I wouldn't trust any bank, not just RBS.  

21 hours ago, Max Power said:

I can vouch for this, being involved with a business which the RBS Mafia tried to destroy in order to benefit from stealing its substantial assets. It taught me a lot about bankers and their cohorts, absolute scum of the earth! Luckily they were thwarted in our case but not without substantial cost.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41048691

Yep, right up there with estate agents and insurance salesmen. 

RBS (UK) and RBS International (IOM) are separate legal entities. The Isle of Man Bank falls under RBS International, not RBS.

Maybe however I noticed a step change in attitude and management style when RBS int or otherwise got involved. 

The present retail Isle of Man Bank bears little resemblance to the bank I moved to 30 ish years ago and most of the changes are imo not for the better. I've now gone elsewhere to get the banking service I used to receive locally.

you are unlikely to get a particularly personal service from any retail bank these days

Generally true. I think IOMB's criteria from about a year ago for continuing a true personal service is either having:

£80k+ a year income

£175k average balance over 3 months

Mortgage of £300k+

These requirements were brought in without notice with an apparent take it or leave it approach. We decided on the latter.

There are retail banks that 'only' require a balance exceeding £5k or payment of £15/month to still get great personal service. I receive a call only yesterday checking up because I got my pin number wrong. They just wanted to check it was me getting it wrong and that I still had the card in my possession. For £15 a month, having that level of supervision and a direct dial number to someone who knows you personally is well worth it.

So make the standard service non-existent and the punters will think that paying £180 a year for what they used to get for nothing is well worth it as illustrated above.

I don't call that often, except when they cock up, and I have my bank manager's direct dial number and it goes straight to him - until the last time. It went to a call centre and the woman could barely speak English. Eventually she cottoned on that the only thing I would ask her to do was to put me through to the manager, which she did. When I asked him what was going on, he said the system had been "streamlined".

So make the standard service non-existent and the punters will think that paying £180 a year for what they used to get for nothing is well worth it as illustrated above.

Not quite.

The service I get for £180 exceeds what was available for free with IOMB (for a decade) by a significant margin. However it is fair to say that I would still be with the local bank had they not chosen to withdraw the service. 

Archived