Your Tv Is About To Stop Working!

manxmedia

We're paying our license fees like the rest of the UK, yet we're getting a totally inferior service - when is this going to change????

You pay a television licence to operate a television receiver apparatus, not to receive any particular television station or service including the BBC which just happens to be substantially funded by licence payments..

Can’t get BBC? Tough. That’s not what you’re paying for.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can’t get BBC?  Tough.  That’s not what you’re paying for.

wrong

No, that's where most of the cash goes but you're not paying to receive a service, you're paying to be permitted to operate a television receiver.

This was made clear some years ago in a case where a guy in Manchester (I think it was) had his TV disabled from receiving BBC yet was found guilty of the charge of operating a TV sans licence. The judge made it clear that using it to get BBC was simply not relevant nor was the availability of a BBC signal hence my assertion that what you are paying may well be getting used to substantially fund the BBC but the payment is for permission to operate the TV receiving apparatus.

There are even moves afoot to have some form of licence on PC’s connected to the ‘net if TV programs get broadcast over the net.

OK, I'll grant you that's what the license is legally for. But the BBC is obliged to provide a service for its fee and is under pressure to justify the fee. If large parts of the country couldn't get bbc, you'd see changes in the fee.

OK, I'll grant you that's what the license is legally for. But the BBC is obliged to provide a service for its fee and is under pressure to justify the fee. If large parts of the country couldn't get bbc, you'd see changes in the fee.

Agreed. Honours even?

It isn't fair really, other channels do some much better programming than the BBC and they have to be paid for seperately (on Sky, say). Maybe we should get to decide which channels the fee goes to ;)

This was the topic of conversation the thread I started off in the TV bit, is there a particular reason the Island doesn't have digital yet? Or are they just lazy? I like the idea of Freeview, it's like telly should be... nothing too over the top, just a few more channels for what you pay. The only way of getting the channels that offers here is to get Sky, but since the better channels are part of the subscription you can't get them on free to air/view. ARGH!

Stupid IOM, they'd better get this sorted quick or I'll just go d/l my fave programmes off the net :P

Like what? BBC makes the best programmes in the world IMO

It's kind of annoying that it makes the best programmes for the world too. The bbc websites broadcasting radio and content and now even premiers of TV shows to anyone, not just license payers. We're paying for that.

Everyone can get the eight BBC Channels through a Digibox without subscribing to Sky (i.e. not having the card in). The BBC stopped using BSkyB's signal encryption service over two years ago with a saving of £85 million per year.

Never tried it though.

It just so happens I'm about to write to the BBC once again. Wrote last year about the services Jersey and Guernsey get ('Where I Live' section on the BBC website, local news coverage, local BBC Radio).

The beeb gave a decent response, a team from the BBC visited last year and met with Government - but since then.... nothing.

Maybe we should get to decide which channels the fee goes to

I reckon we eventually will. My theory is when the whole of the country has gone digital and the analogue signal has been switched off the TV licence will take the form of a subscription based system, and will probably be much more expensive as well.

I can already get Freeview, as can most of the coastal areas around the north east of the Island. (Although the signal sometimes breaks up depending on the weather).

Some of the set top boxes are better than others at coping with fringe signals. Might be worth trying a different box.

Thread here at Digital Spy which addresses this.

In fact the free to air (FTA) programmes on Sky are very similiar to the available programmes on the "freeview" boxes, the only major difference between the two is the transport mechanism of the signals - Sky comes via satellite, freeview is terrestrial like your standard analogue TV transmissions.

When I canceled my Sky I thought I would get UK History and I ddn't... I don't think you get the other UK TV channels on the Sky FTA either.. Which is rubbish as I really like them.

Comparison of Freeview to Satellite FTA

Above link shows channel listings comparing Sky FTA to terrestrial "Freeview".

There are more channles available from Sky, but as has been posted by Simon, no E4 and no UK History.

My major gripe (which Rog had a go at) is that we pay the same license fee as the rest of the UK for an inferior service - how can we possibly have an all digital service, within a couple of years if we don't even have a local digital terrestrial feed at the moment.

(Shouldn't we be able to claim a discount of some sort???)

I beleive the Comms Commission is "in charge" of the terrestrial TV repeaters we have here, - AFAIK these guys license the broadcasters to re-transmit, maybe someone from the Comms Commission would be able to give us info on what changes are likely in the near future??

I think it might take more than a couple of years for IOM people to buy their Freeview boxes / new Ditital TV's, so would recommend that the present analogue service remains until we have a digital service that has been installed / tested and people have had enough time to switch.

For the posts here complaining about digital radio, - if you have a Sky box, then you can use this to give you your radio feed.

Attach a sky dish to your car? I'd like to see that. Sky's pants for radio, you want a reciever in the kitchen and stuff, not tied to your telly so nobody can change the channel while your listening.

SAT reception for vehicles

Above link has product that would enable you to receive Sky in your car!

- Mind you it would cost more than my car!!!

Archived