Tynwald Buildings

Billy One Mate

Jan 6 2005, 11:04 PM Post #1

MF Senior Member

Group: Members

Member No.: 259

Here we go again more tax payers money to finance additional costs on a building project on the Isle of Man.

The facts so far;

Tenders sought from 4 contractors of which the lowest recieved was from a joint venture company made up of a local builder and a UK builder. Governments design team say that this lowest tender recieved was not value for money and so they advertised for more tenderers and after recieving an application from a Contractor from Northern Ireland (who had never carried out any work previously on the Island) he was invited to tender and Government recieved a quoation considerably cheaper than the original price and so he got the job.

Mr Brown last year stated publically in the local press that the job was going very well and would be finished in July of this year and on budget.

STOP PRESS Today six months from completion Mr Brown announces its going to cost more because of rot they have JUST FOUND (some sixteen months after the job had started) and because tipping costs increased.(everybody in the Islands building industry knew they were going up before the job was priced) and also its not going to be finished on time but will be ready for Octobers sitting.

I hate to say it again but I told you so some seven months ago.

So we are at last being told some of the truth about another Capital Scheme that has gone wrong and this one is right under the noses of the Government with all the expertise that exists in there, Architects, Clerk of Works, Treasury etc. We are now being told that it is unlikely that they will be able to use the building in January of this year and the word on the street is that they will be lucky if they get in before Easter. I gather that Mr Brown refused to say how much extra that this delay is likely to cost but Mr Karran did mention a figure of 2 million which would be an increase of about 27% on the original quotation.

I know many will say stop the whinging and this type of thing happens everywhere and is not just exclusive to the Isle of Man, but just think about it and work out the figures of over expenditure on many recent building projects.

New Hospital, Incinerator, Iris and the treatment plant, MEA and Government Offices. My estimation is some 250 million and a lot of problems still with many of the schemes. This is very SERIOUS and cannot be continually sustained by the Islands Economy. WE NEED TO LEARN LESSONS AND VERY QUICKLY.

Don't worry they have the prison aswell i wonder how many millions that is going to go over budget hahah.

O and don't forget the island is paying off the MEA's millions, and just when the zero rate of tax is coming in, i think the prision will be the last big scheme for a few years until the MEA gets out of the red.

The Government must start to use local companies, its wrong how all the big jobs go to people outside the Isle of Man, they just don't like seeing locals earning a few quid.

Are the Tynwald Chambers really spectacular enough to warrant savings?

A new purpose built Parilament might have been better (ala London City Hall), make those no good MHKs get with the times! Or how about something even cheaper, Tynwald Hill once a month.

Then all they need to do is pay the gardener.

Archived