Catalonia

woolley

8 hours ago, P.K. said:

I notice you have, unsurprisingly, ducked my question as to what good it would do them anyway?

Well it's a stupid question to ask me since,  my position is not that independence is best for Catalunya or not, it's that the issue should be decided by Catalans. Not me, not you, not Madrid, or France or the people of all Spain. 

Personally, I don't have a strong opinion either way. All I want is a stable, democratic and peaceful outcome. The antics of the Spanish government so far are making that impossible. But it can be solved by another referendum, one every side participates in. Then dealing with the outcome like adults by negotiating a solution that delivers the will of he people. 

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a stupid question to me as I'm interested in where all this nationalistic fervour has come from? Because as I have pointed out quite a few times now there seems to be nothing to be really gained by it.

I hope the statement from France that an independent Catalan can basically go fuck themselves puts an end to it. Because it should do.

ETA : looks like common sense might prevail after all - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41562155

OK, it's not a stupid question to ask the nationalists. But it's unfair to expect me to answer it. 

That said, in general terms, I don't think it is unreasonable for people in a region to want to be part of a smaller, locally governed country. That nation can then be part of the EU / UN  for mutual cooperation. That rather than the large nation states that are a throwback to the Imperial Era, seems to me, to be the ultimate future to a peaceful future. That's going to take a long time to evolve though and the tide of history seems to be temporarily moving away from that, I'm afraid.

As to whether Catalunya is a region that could breakaway, and whether now is the time to do that, that's for the Catalan's to decide.  

Clearly the whole saga could have been handled better by both sides but we are where we are. I can only see it getting messier from here on in and the Catalonian regional economy taking a massive kicking, which should quell the administrative nationalist fervour but probably only strengthen the fringe aspects. In which case we might see an equivalent of ETA spring up which would be a sorry path to go down.

51 minutes ago, Declan said:

OK, it's not a stupid question to ask the nationalists. But it's unfair to expect me to answer it. 

As to whether Catalunya is a region that could breakaway, and whether now is the time to do that, that's for the Catalan's to decide.  

Not really, Declan. Those Catalonians seeking independence are a minority. They can't just decide.

It's the underdog syndrome... 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

That said, in general terms, I don't think it is unreasonable for people in a region to want to be part of a smaller, locally governed country. That nation can then be part of the EU / UN  for mutual cooperation. That rather than the large nation states that are a throwback to the Imperial Era, seems to me, to be the ultimate future to a peaceful future. That's going to take a long time to evolve though and the tide of history seems to be temporarily moving away from that, I'm afraid.

They couldn't join the EU and the ONLY country that went all the way from UDI to recognition by the UN in recent times was Bangladesh.

Shades of Brexit:

"The Catalan government owes €77bn (£68bn) at the last count, or 35.4% of Catalonia's GDP. Of that, €52bn is owed to the Spanish government.

In 2012, the Spanish government set up a special fund to provide cash to the regions, who were unable to borrow money on the international markets after the financial crisis. Catalonia has been by far the biggest beneficiary of this scheme, taking €67bn since it began.

Not only would Catalonia lose access to that scheme, but it would raise the question of how much debt Catalonia would be willing to repay after independence."

Worth a read on issues like they would need their own currency http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41474674 

Archived