Catalonia

woolley

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, maynragh said:

You think it's irrelevant because you do not wish to consider the logical basis for your position. Entirely understandable. Thanks for your input. 

nope.....

i see the european commission has just told them to get stuffed for holding an illegal vote against spains constitution.....

3 hours ago, guzzi said:

Having said that, the argument that no one region should have the right to vote for independence and, effectively, for the dissolution of a democratic country against the wishes of the wider  population is a strong one for me. I felt exactly the same way about Scottish independence. 

I think that is a bizarre way of looking at it. Like you can't divorce unless your partner agrees to it. Or having to get the agreement of all Europe for Brexit to happen. Peoples are entitled to set their own destiny, to run their own affairs.

Throughout history the borders in Europe have moved and countries have been independent that now aren't. Why are the current boundaries set in stone? When the Czech Republic and Slovakia were allowed to split, when the Hapsburg Empire was dismantled but suddenly the boundaries of Spain can't be redrawn? 

Completely agree Declan - country borders are just what people think they are. Hell, just recently Montenegro left Serbia and became it's own country, and Kosovo is well on its way too. 

You've already got a country (Andorra) in between Spain and France that isn't in the EU anyway, but still the benefits - no reason Catalonia couldn't do the same initially whilst the EU processes the membership.  

Article 7 of the EU treaty states that any member state who uses violence against their citizens will be suspended from EU membership.

Does any applicable violence operate on a threshold system then? Or only if it isn't in connection with a referendum that the EU doesn't want to interfere in? 

As you can see I am anti-EU and pro-Catalonia independence so admittedly my views are a little biased but as others have stated European borders have changed with the wind over the past century, why not this time?

2 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Article 7 of the EU treaty states that any member state who uses violence against their citizens will be suspended from EU membership.

Does any applicable violence operate on a threshold system then? Or only if it isn't in connection with a referendum that the EU doesn't want to interfere in? 

As you can see I am anti-EU and pro-Catalonia independence so admittedly my views are a little biased but as others have stated European borders have changed with the wind over the past century, why not this time?

it was reasonable force not violence.....

5 hours ago, Declan said:

I think that is a bizarre way of looking at it. Like you can't divorce unless your partner agrees to it.

Everything I am reading about this implies that this is about money and business interests cynically and selfishly co-opting a folksy nationalism. A bit like the IOM in the 80s eh!

And there is almost zero serious support for Catalan nationalism on the French side FWIW. Except in the minds of the sort of people who probably imagine that Cornwall is an occupied zone!

If that were really the case why would they waste so much effort and take such risks to try and crush it? Just let it happen and laugh it off when the results come in - if your assessment is correct, or even completely ignore it if they did vote for independence. The actions of the state show there's a lot more at stake here than you've given credit to. 

11 hours ago, pongo said:

Everything I am reading about this implies that this is about money and business interests cynically and selfishly co-opting a folksy nationalism. A bit like the IOM in the 80s eh!

And there is almost zero serious support for Catalan nationalism on the French side FWIW. Except in the minds of the sort of people who probably imagine that Cornwall is an occupied zone!

Then the Spanish government and those who want to stay should make the case democratically. Don't bring the full weight of the state - the courts and police - into crushing a referendum. 

At the moment I can understand Catalans wanting rid of such a state. 

Surely democracy should never be the dictatorship / tyranny of the majority?

When Quebec voted for secession the "NO" camp won with 50.58% of the vote. That leaves almost the same amount of folks not getting what they want.

Madrid have handled it badly, no question. But why do they think a referendum should be exclusively Catalonia?

If it's about the breakup of Spain then surely every Spaniard should have a vote on it...?

Archived