Merkel take a kicking

woody2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only if she can form a coalition and with the spd saying no it could force another election....

completely different to the cons because they could still run alone, dup aren't going to vote with labour and a dozen or so labour mp have voted in favour of everything the cons have put forward.....

2 hours ago, Edward Boyes said:

Hello,

I have written two articles about Merkel and the elections for a new blog called ManxEconomics. You may find it interesting. The mainstream media in the British Isles have a sad history of communicating a distorted picture of Bundesrepublik Deutschland/Germany.

https://manxeconomics.wordpress.com/

Interesting, I am wondering what you base your assertion "There is a growing conviction among Germans that they live under an undemocratic and oppressive regime. Whilst this is certainly still very much a minority view, it is spreading fast." on? 

As someone living in Germany I don't hear that view in day to day life. It might be because I'm living and working in the affluent south west and not the poor north east though.

48 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Interesting, I am wondering what you base your assertion "There is a growing conviction among Germans that they live under an undemocratic and oppressive regime. Whilst this is certainly still very much a minority view, it is spreading fast." on? 

As someone living in Germany I don't hear that view in day to day life. It might be because I'm living and working in the affluent south west and not the poor north east though.

guess you also believe merkel opening the borders was legal?

bikinis or burkas?

Hello mojomonkey. You can go https://manxeconomics.wordpress.com/   to read the two articles on the Bundestagswahl. Already in 1972 the famous German artist Joseph Beuys created a "Politlithographie" with the title "Uberwindet endlich die Parteiendiktatur!" This was prophetic. More info is on this Youtube channel. Just listen to some of the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBMSkhnAPtL1hhYfJgrWZqg/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 minute ago, woody2 said:

guess you also believe merkel opening the borders was legal?

bikinis or burkas?

Eh, what's the relevance of your questions to my question and comment to Edward Boyes' post?

I'm merely saying what I see and hear here on the ground. As I've said before (but seem to simply choose to ignore) I'm no big Merkel fan. I didn't vote for her (technically impossible as I'm not in her constituency anyway) nor did I vote for her party on Sunday.

1 minute ago, mojomonkey said:

Eh, what's the relevance of your questions to my question and comment to Edward Boyes' post?

I'm merely saying what I see and hear here on the ground. As I've said before (but seem to simply choose to ignore) I'm no big Merkel fan. I didn't vote for her (technically impossible as I'm not in her constituency anyway) nor did I vote for her party on Sunday.

answer the questions, it relates to merkel been a "undemocratic and oppressive regime"

2 minutes ago, Edward Boyes said:

Hello mojomonkey. You can go https://manxeconomics.wordpress.com/   to read the two articles on the Bundestagswahl. Already in 1972 the famous German artist Joseph Beuys created a "Politlithographie" with the title "Uberwindet endlich die Parteiendiktur!" This was prophetic. More info is on this Youtube channel. Just listen to some of the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBMSkhnAPtL1hhYfJgrWZqg/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I already read the articles, hence my direct quote. Neither seem to qualify where your assertion comes from though. Just saying something doesn't make it true. I can't watch the YouTube thing right now, if I remember I'll look at it after work. Thanks for the response though.

15 minutes ago, woody2 said:

answer the questions, it relates to merkel been a "undemocratic and oppressive regime"

But my question was who is saying that and where are they saying it.

The German electoral system with both majority and proportional representation built into it is about as democratic as it is possible to get, whether someone likes the outcome it brings is another question entirely. 

As for oppressive, I do speak as someone living in the affluent part of Germany but I honestly don't see much oppression. They have a buoyant economy, a strong welfare system and the education system gives all the possibilities it possibly could. Who exactly is being oppressed and over what?

17 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

But my question was who is saying that and where are they saying it.

The German electoral system with both majority and proportional representation built into it is about as democratic as it is possible to get, whether someone likes the outcome it brings is another question entirely. 

As for oppressive, I do speak as someone living in the affluent part of Germany but I honestly don't see much oppression. They have a buoyant economy, a strong welfare system and the education system gives all the possibilities it possibly could. Who exactly is being oppressed and over what?

Don't feed it...

Archived