Liverpool Arms Closes

Non-Believer

34 minutes ago, finlo said:

They'll be closing all their other pubs as well then.

Indeed. Every pub building that they've sold that has been taken on by freehouse operators (that I can think of) has had to be gutted because of the state they were in. To include structurally sometimes. Building upkeep other than the standard tacky makeovers is virtually zero. And then they expect to be able to command big prices (Royal Britannia and Saddle/Nightlife in Ramsey, anyone? Rotten from the door locks up - and down in some areas)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Indeed. Every pub building that they've sold that has been taken on by freehouse operators (that I can think of) has had to be gutted because of the state they were in. To include structurally sometimes. Building upkeep other than the standard tacky makeovers is virtually zero. And then they expect to be able to command big prices (Royal Britannia and Saddle/Nightlife in Ramsey, anyone? Rotten from the door locks up - and down in some areas)

You must have worked for the brewery  as well, I contracted for them many years ago and EVERYTHING had to be done on the cheep.

5 minutes ago, twinkle said:

You must have worked for the brewery  as well, I contracted for them many years ago and EVERYTHING had to be done on the cheep.

Not at all. I'm just a punter that can afford a rare pint in their establishments. But it's easy to see what's going on, the neglect is glaring.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, quilp said:
2 hours ago, hboy said:

Yes should have stuffed it into wooleys front wall and done a runner too. 

In the daytime, with your lights on... :mellow:

Sharp intake of breath !!!! ( not sure emo thingy to use )

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, notwell said:

The regeneration looks fine there. 

I quite agree. Ramsey is looking good these days and I enjoy going there every few weeks.

10 years ago it was pretty grim, but the regeneration has done wonders for the town, in my opinion. ( Same with Strand St. and will be the same in Peel.

Money very well spent. :)

Pubs are dying in their droves because many people now chat online to their mates and can drink at home, either alone or with all their mates and it costs very little.

Pubs are not the meeting point anymore and will continue to die because they will never ever be what they once were.

One can now buy alcohol and soft drinks at such low prices. I can pour a pub measure of Smirnoff and mix it with a full can of REAL Coke or Pepsi  for 65p.

What is it pubs now, about £5 ?

12 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Pubs are dying in their droves because many people now chat online to their mates and can drink at home, either alone or with all their mates and it costs very little.

Pubs are not the meeting point anymore and will continue to die because they will never ever be what they once were.

One can now buy alcohol and soft drinks at such low prices. I can pour a pub measure of Smirnoff and mix it with a full can of REAL Coke or Pepsi  for 65p.

I predict the traditional pub will die out when our generation do with the exception of good family friendly eateries.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, finlo said:
12 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I predict the traditional pub will die out when our generation do with the exception of good family friendly eateries.

If not before. Dobbo quoted a figure in his interview on Manx Radio and it was something like hundreds each week in the UK (if not more)

40 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

If not before. Dobbo quoted a figure in his interview on Manx Radio and it was something like hundreds each week in the UK (if not more)

If not less.

The figure is less than 30.

Dobbo is the archetypal pub landlord, confident and commanding, mine host indeed. Such a pub landlord was the king of 'man down t'pub' gossip and facts in equal measure.

Then the information superhighway came along.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1