Liverpool Arms Closes

Non-Believer

4 minutes ago, gettafa said:

If not less.

The figure is less than 30.

Dobbo is the archetypal pub landlord, confident and commanding, mine host indeed. Such a pub landlord was the king of 'man down t'pub' gossip and facts in equal measure.

Then the information superhighway came along.

Bit of a difference then. Maybe Dobbo just said that to feel better. :lol:

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Dobbo was just a pisshead. The attempts at Keys were just hilarious. Done for drink drinking on the eve of almost every one of them and running a so called major business empire from an Onchan council house.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hboy said:

Dobbo was just a pisshead. The attempts at Keys were just hilarious. Done for drink drinking on the eve of almost every one of them and running a so called major business empire from an Onchan council house.

Are you one of those failed candidates?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hboy said:
2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Sadly, for Dobson, you are absolutely correct.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neil Down said:

The government should stop supermarkets from selling alcohol..in fact just get rid of supermarkets. Let’s get back to old fashioned service and values 

Yes let's do that! I well recall the old grocers with their mile high wooden shelves stacked with tins. The grocer in white coat like a medic. Little old ladies confused serving part time.

The delivery boy on a bike with white paper wrapped items marked out with price and address in blue pencil which the grocer kept behind his ear and licked the point of before using.

The queues for different purchases. This line for the cheese cut with a wire weighed and wrapped. The butter cut into slabs patted with wooden bats and then stamped with an image from a wooden mould. The machine that cut the bacon and that was another line to stand in. The cake section "I've saved a lovely bit of fruit cake for you Mrs Smith! Even the cakes were cut to order. The eggs sold in brown paper bags. The row of square biscuit tins at the front where the staff would come round and pick the ones you chose and bag them.

It took all day to shop and people shopped usually every day.

Sainsbury's for years operated from marble halls with mosaic floors and tiled walls with showing healthy country images. Sides of bacon hung all around. But you had to go to the cheese counter to get it cut and weighed and then take a ticket to the cashier up three marble steps under a big clock, pay for it and then take the ticket back to the cheese counter and collect the item(s) ...But you had to stand in line again!

Then you had to go to the bacon counter and the whole process started again. Cut/weigh, wrap, blue pencil, ticket, cash desk pay, then back to the bacon counter. Then you might go to the egg counter and the same process. It could take an hour to get bacon, eggs, cheese and butter...And that was well into the 1960s.

In my school days a lot of arithmetic was based on exercises involving blending tea, coffee and sugar of certain prices to make an "own blend" which some grocers still did. I can even recall sugar in loaves and which had to be broken up by tongs. And rough cast sugar in blue paper bags.

I can recall grocers roasting and blending their own coffee..They had beans on the shelf in huge copper jars all numbered. Tea arrived in large wooden chests lined with foil

And you did not get much choice...But you could get your child to hand in a shopping list and they pack it for you. You could also telephone a shopping list and the early primitive supermarkets such as International Stores would deliver.

The modern version of old fashioned grocers today are the deliveries offered by Tesco, Iceland, Orcado etc.

The old time grocers belonged to the age of more time and women who stayed at home while the husband went out to work. "Janet and John" and the family car was a second hand Ford Popular only used at weekends if Dad was not fiddling with it dressed in his Army battledress showing off the mechanic's skills he acquired in the war.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Yes let's do that! I well recall the old grocers with their mile high wooden shelves stacked with tins. The grocer in white coat like a medic. Little old ladies confused serving part time.

The delivery boy on a bike with white paper wrapped items marked out with price and address in blue pencil which the grocer kept behind his ear and licked the point of before using.

The queues for different purchases. This line for the cheese cut with a wire weighed and wrapped. The butter cut into slabs patted with wooden bats and then stamped with an image from a wooden mould. The machine that cut the bacon and that was another line to stand in. The cake section "I've saved a lovely bit of fruit cake for you Mrs Smith! Even the cakes were cut to order. The eggs sold in brown paper bags. The row of square biscuit tins at the front where the staff would come round and pick the ones you chose and bag them.

It took all day to shop and people shopped usually every day.

Sainsbury's for years operated from marble halls with mosaic floors and tiled walls with showing healthy country images. Sides of bacon hung all around. But you had to go to the cheese counter to get it cut and weighed and then take a ticket to the cashier up three marble steps under a big clock, pay for it and then take the ticket back to the cheese counter and collect the item(s) ...But you had to stand in line again!

Then you had to go to the bacon counter and the whole process started again. Cut/weigh, wrap, blue pencil, ticket, cash desk pay, then back to the bacon counter. Then you might go to the egg counter and the same process. It could take an hour to get bacon, eggs, cheese and butter...And that was well into the 1960s.

In my school days a lot of arithmetic was based on exercises involving blending tea, coffee and sugar of certain prices to make an "own blend" which some grocers still did. I can even recall sugar in loaves and which had to be broken up by tongs. And rough cast sugar in blue paper bags.

I can recall grocers roasting and blending their own coffee..They had beans on the shelf in huge copper jars all numbered. Tea arrived in large wooden chests lined with foil

And you did not get much choice...But you could get your child to hand in a shopping list and they pack it for you. You could also telephone a shopping list and the early primitive supermarkets such as International Stores would deliver.

The modern version of old fashioned grocers today are the deliveries offered by Tesco, Iceland, Orcado etc.

The old time grocers belonged to the age of more time and women who stayed at home while the husband went out to work. "Janet and John" and the family car was a second hand Ford Popular only used at weekends if Dad was not fiddling with it dressed in his Army battledress showing off the mechanic's skills he acquired in the war.

That's UKIP's manifesto isn't it?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Are you one of those failed candidates?

Poor thicko Neil makes idiotic statement on MF again. No, but why would anyone be aggrieved anyway? The drunken idiot blew his chances up twice by getting done twice before two consecutive elections. The man was a joke. 

1 hour ago, Barrie Stevens said:

http://www.walthamstowmemories.net/pdfs/Barrie Stevens - Essex Boy 1949-1959.pdf

Judge for yourself I give a link (And the game away!)

I read that a while ago when you first pimped it on these forums. I seem to remember it was an interesting enough read.

Hey Barrie, considering all your posts on these forums and letters to the papers etc. I think you should make your open words your Epitaph:

This work has been written from memory without any real reference or research and then
thrown onto the page spontaneously with no editing from me