Liverpool Arms Closes

Non-Believer

54 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It wouldn't surprise me. That's why the service experience is generally so horrible. Nobody is paid to give a shit. 

Unless I am mistaken, nobody is forcing people to run pubs. Classic case of running in with your eyes wide shut...

6 minutes ago, sausage said:

As posted above....the powers that be treat/pay their staff terribly at H&B...resulting in the expected problems with staff retention and therefore serious issues with quality and consistency of food and drink.

If you want a prime example check out the Woodbourne...a CAMRA pub of the year winner turned into a shithole in less than three years...that takes some talent !

Should have Dave Cretney involved.

53 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It wouldn't surprise me. That's why the service experience is generally so horrible. Nobody is paid to give a shit. 

Makes you wonder how they justify the prices of the drink? Even more galling, given the huge inconsistencies in the standard of draught beers and lagers throughout brewery houses. I can think of one in particular where many of the locals have resorted to drinking (even more expensive) bottles because the draught beer's so bad. Or maybe that's the idea.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Unless I am mistaken, nobody is forcing people to run pubs. Classic case of running in with your eyes wide shut...

TBF, when these managers take on the pubs, they may not realise that their working week will be 70+ hours per week.

I would not do that job for twice their pay.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Makes you wonder how they justify the prices of the drink? Even more galling, given the huge inconsistencies in the standard of draught beers and lagers throughout brewery houses. I can think of one in particular where many of the locals have resorted to drinking (even more expensive) bottles because the draught beer's so bad. Or maybe that's the idea.....

It is the idea sadly. But they had to shut Carnival eventually so the idea didn't catch on. Their money is in proper real ale pubs but it will take about 35 years for them to work it out. Even more to get a proper service culture in the handful of pubs they will be left with. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Catering/Restaurants/Pubs or anything to do with food can be a very hard business. I wonder for him, with the graft of it all it just became so destructive to him to do what has been done and this was just an inevitably of it all. Sorry scenario. I don't pity the man given what I know but I would never suggest/endorse a career in this trade and the college should make young people aware the level of work against the level of pay that it must be a career you are truly passionate about... or it will slowly eat you up in ways that are very hard to get out of.

17 minutes ago, WhipMeHouston said:

Catering/Restaurants/Pubs or anything to do with food can be a very hard business. I wonder for him, with the graft of it all it just became so destructive to him to do what has been done and this was just an inevitably of it all. Sorry scenario. I don't pity the man given what I know but I would never suggest/endorse a career in this trade and the college should make young people aware the level of work against the level of pay that it must be a career you are truly passionate about... or it will slowly eat you up in ways that are very hard to get out of.

I think you're being too kind. I'm amazed a man with three drink driving convictions managed to hold on to a license to serve alcohol for as long as he did. Wasn't the license in the name of his chef in the end? 

Edited by hboy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dilligaf said:

TBF, when these managers take on the pubs, they may not realise that their working week will be 70+ hours per week.

I would not do that job for twice their pay.

is that true though?  I mean the managers not realising how many hours a week they will need to work?

Surely anyone going into the pub trade knows the opening hours they are expected to be involved with, and also the work that needs to be done when the pub is closed?

Its not a job, its a way of life.

• Like 1

We went to the LA as part of a group some time ago, for lunch. Pre-booked table, etc.. Not at a peak time.

There was a long delay, and they couldn't get the order right. It was horrendous. I doubt if any of us ever went back there.

We'll still go out for pub lunches with friends, but prefer to go to a place where we feel valued, and where the food and service are good. Fortunately, there are still a couple of those about, though we'll maybe have to travel a little further to some of them.

In the UK over 5 years (2012-16) the number of town centre bars, pubs and night clubs fell by about 2,000.

Meanwhile, cafes, fast food outlets and restaurants have gone up by 6,000 across England, Scotland and Wales.

Society is a changing. It is always evolving...except for the chavs.

• Like 2