Liverpool Arms Closes

Non-Believer

1 hour ago, finlo said:

I wonder does the wedding cake have a covenant on it,  "You're not allowed to run a successful economy from this address"

More like, "Fill yer Boots here"....

Edited by Non-Believer

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

I'm not allowed chickens or donkeys on my land (covenant from 1885)

That's the way that covenants traditionally worked.  The restrictions were placed by the original builders or landowners (or those that sold them the land) to maintain some sort of propriety.  Presumably this applied particularly when the developers were still selling/renting out initially and didn't want to give new clients the impression that the place was full of plebs.  And just as the Victorians didn't want the sort of people who kept chickens, Dandara don't want those who hang out their smalls.  Some things never change.

What is unusual about the covenants that the Brewery is imposing is that are new ones.  Effectively they are trying to restrain trade in their own interest and it would be interesting to see if a purchaser tried to overturn one on those grounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's the way that covenants traditionally worked.  The restrictions were placed by the original builders or landowners (or those that sold them the land) to maintain some sort of propriety.  Presumably this applied particularly when the developers were still selling/renting out initially and didn't want to give new clients the impression that the place was full of plebs.  And just as the Victorians didn't want the sort of people who kept chickens, Dandara don't want those who hang out their smalls.  Some things never change.

What is unusual about the covenants that the Brewery is imposing is that are new ones.  Effectively they are trying to restrain trade in their own interest and it would be interesting to see if a purchaser tried to overturn one on those grounds.

Can’t agree with you there. Why would somebody buy the Liverpool Arms to run as a pub if they know it could take years (if at all) to remove the covenant.

6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Can’t agree with you there. Why would somebody buy the Liverpool Arms to run as a pub if they know it could take years (if at all) to remove the covenant.

Oh quite.  I said it would be interesting not that it would be likely.  Running a public house would be a marginal enough business plan as it is without any legal complications.  It still doesn't mean that the Brewery is legally right, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, woolley said:

Just for sheer devilment and to win. Great fun!

Which would be the sort of attitude and go ahead outlook that is the polar opposite's of H&B's complacency and expectancy?

9 hours ago, finlo said:

I wonder does the wedding cake have a covenant on it,  "You're not allowed to run a successful economy from this address"

Well it was built as a bank, took money from a gullible public, and went bust. And there was a scandalous theft and trial of staff member which highlighted short comings in record keeping.

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fulltext/lr1916/ch26.htm

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Which would be the sort of attitude and go ahead outlook that is the polar opposite's of H&B's complacency and expectancy?

Absolutely. No expectancy or complacency and certainly no attempt to restrain others from trading. I see no parallel whatsoever. 

I think that there is a genuine public interest issue here, not specifically the brewery and pubs, but the wider Island economy. I alluded to it in another thread when I said that we came here with the genuine intention of gradually selling off business assets in the UK to purchase equivalent (or alternative) business assets here.

After 6 years of trying to talk to Gov't ("What's in it for us, not the public, for us") we've given up and actually started to reverse the flow by buying again in the UK.

I have a mate who I talk to about this - he has been searching here for 25 years and has finally given up as well. He came to the Island full of ideas but is now just another retiree here.

'Where you can' is drivel. I find it very frustrating / depressing and before anyone says it, yes I know about the boat.

We now see the Island as nothing more than a tax base, which is genuinely not the attitude we arrived with. Sad.

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus
  • Like 3