Liverpool Arms Closes

Non-Believer

There was a big drinking culture which thinned out in the late 80's and through the 90's. Drink driving was always an offence with similar consequences but we didn't have the breathalyser. The police were more lenient and not looking to collar anyone who had only had two or three drinks. Places like the Groudle, Liverpool Arms etc were busy all through the week and weekends were rammed.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Introduced in 1966 in the UK, so presumably in about 1996 over here.  How have they stayed open for the last 20 years if this is the reason?

I think part of that time was due to popular and enthusiastic management.

Last time we were there, earlier this year, my wife commented oh the grumpy Italian bloke who seems to be in charge. “Even if they’re incompetent they’re usually at least cheerful ”

8 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Places like the Groudle, Liverpool Arms etc were busy all through the week and weekends were rammed.  

Forgot about the Groudle, another country(ish) pub closed. 

My understanding, back in the day, was that you could get done for dangerous driving if you crashed while drunk, but otherwise it was fair game. 

I remember about ten of us on bikes used used to go up Douglas Head for several pints. Then we’d go to the late night cinema, the ones with working headlights would go in the front, the ones with working rear lights brought up the rear, and everyone else was in the middle. 

This was back in the days when tv programmes the likes of Love Thy Neighbour were classed as comedy. Things change. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There was a big drinking culture which thinned out in the late 80's and through the 90's. Drink driving was always an offence with similar consequences but we didn't have the breathalyser. The police were more lenient and not looking to collar anyone who had only had two or three drinks. Places like the Groudle, Liverpool Arms etc were busy all through the week and weekends were rammed.  

There was a bar in the police station in those days.  Wasn't in their interest to make a big deal of drink driving.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, woolley said:

It's too iconic a location to stay closed for long. But then I thought the same about the Groudle.

Good thing Howard says everything is booming.

Howard keeps spouting all the new residents coming to the island. At the last count, he said 400 new residents since the census. Removal vans going off island, now that's booming!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Howard keeps spouting all the new residents coming to the island. At the last count, he said 400 new residents since the census. Removal vans going off island, now that's booming!

Howard is all of a sudden seeing all these new people, but it is just the people sucking up to him since he suddeny and unbelievably became Chief Minister.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Removal firms we deal with through work all saying a definite shift in the last couple of years, and now more coming than going.

What would they know though, they are just the blokes doing the job day in day out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Removal firms we deal with through work all saying a definite shift in the last couple of years, and now more coming than going.

What would they know though, they are just the blokes doing the job day in day out.

Aquaintance of mine in the removals gig reckoned a couple of months ago that he was actually losing money. How? Because trucks that were going away full were returning empty and not paying their way back. But as you say, what would he know?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Aquaintance of mine in the removals gig reckoned a couple of months ago that he was actually losing money. How? Because trucks that were going away full were returning empty and not paying their way back. But as you say, what would he know?

Not enough to charge sufficiently to allow for bringing a truck back empty after a move if he doesn’t have one lined up coming back on the same dates by the sound of it.  Or to adapt his business so that he does collections other than house moves to recoup some of the costs.

2 hours ago, hboy said:

It never put the owner off. I wonder how much of it is down to the fact that you probably don't make that much money running a pub when you're a pisshead? 

Or perhaps it's easy to become one if you have a pub full of booze that's not making much money and a lot of financial commitments. Always more than one way of looking at things!

• Like 1

Always enjoyed a trip to the LA and found Dobbo to be a very genial landlord. It felt like a real pub too. Haven't been there for a couple of years so didn't see the refurb. Despite what some are arguing it was definitely the ridiculous penalties and over-zealous policing of the drink driving laws that killed country pubs and the Island's social life stone dead. Instead of hammering drunks and pissed up boy racers at the wheel, it scared everyone off from even having a couple of beers and a nice night out. Too many people banned and fined for no good reason. Don't bother arguing - we've done this one to death many times.

I'm sad to see it go. 

Edited by Shake me up Judy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Always enjoyed a trip to the LA and found Dobbo to be a very genial landlord. It felt like a real pub too. Haven't been there for a couple of years so didn't see the refurb. Despite what some are arguing it was definitely the ridiculous penalties and over-zealous policing of the drink driving laws that killed country pubs and the Island's social life stone dead. Instead of hammering drunks at the wheel it scared everyone off from even having a couple of beers and a nice night out. Too many people banned and fined for no good reason. Don't bother arguing - we've done this one to death many times.

I'm sad to see it go. 

Is there such a thing?

Not arguing with you but  you can't make a crass statement like that and get a free pass

It all depends on getting the right balance and quality, being a free house helps.

if you take the Shore at Gansey it was also  dying a slow death until new owners came in and did it there way now its buzzing.

Have to admit there are  not many characters in the landlord trade these days and I remember okells when it was 28p a pint and drinkable in most pubs , now those were the days.

• Like 1