Liverpool Arms Closes

Non-Believer

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:
9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I'm sure the brewery own it.

They do. I’m pretty sure The brewery funded the make over. Happy to be corrected.

Oddly enough, his FB page says he owns it. I thought he had a local authority house in Onchan. 

50 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Drink driving and pubs sorted itself out years ago. This is about getting your business model wrong IMO...do the place up the wrong way...without asking your customers their opinion...disaster.

Certainly a valid point here, Albert. I walked into my beloved (of man and boy) Liverpool Arms and thought WTF?

Did an about turn to friends who were still making their way from the car and advised them to prepare themselves for a shock.

We were by no means the only ones to feel that way. They modernised the comfy homeliness and the soul out of it. Now I was prepared to suspend my own judgement as an old git because if it had appealed to a younger crowd then good luck to them. Clearly not. It didn't stop us going occasionally, most recently last week, and I've had some decent food there, but the empty tables foretold the inevitable.

• Like 1

Agree completely re the drink driving.

The way its enforced at the moment means the dicks who get so pissed they are a danger to themselves and others still do, and those of us who might just fancy a drink with a meal or after work don’t because if you have a completely unrelated bump, like someone running into the back of you, you will be breathalised and risk ending up in the paper, fined, without a license or a job.

I can’t remember the last drink driving serious accident.  I have a feeling it was about 29 years ago in the mountain and the law made stuff all difference.

Having said all that. I can’t suggest a better solution because although most of us can be relied on to be sensible it clearly doesn’t apply to everyone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Agree completely re the drink driving.

The way its enforced at the moment means the dicks who get so pissed they are a danger to themselves and others still do, and those of us who might just fancy a drink with a meal or after work don’t because if you have a completely unrelated bump, like someone running into the back of you, you will be breathalised and risk ending up in the paper, fined, without a license or a job.

I can’t remember the last drink driving serious accident.  I have a feeling it was about 29 years ago in the mountain and the law made stuff all difference.

Having said all that. I can’t suggest a better solution because although most of us can be relied on to be sensible it clearly doesn’t apply to everyone.

I know you are only pointlessly trolling people to start a fight but really. You can't remember the last serious drink driving crash? 

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/motorist-arrested-for-drink-driving-after-prom-smash/

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=35623&headline=Drink-driver crashed car&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2017

Poor attempt at trolling. It is getting a bit boring here really isn't it as it's largely you posting all the time in every thread so I'm sure it would be nice for you if you could start a fight with another actual human being. 

Edited by hboy
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, woolley said:

Whatever I think about the makeover, I do feel for Nigel Dobson. I've had a business go pear shaped and it is not a nice place to be. A very lonely place to be too. Brave to speak on the radio the way he did too. I hope he bounces back.

Has he still got Nyarbyl Cafe ?

12 minutes ago, hboy said:

I know you are only pointlessly trolling people to start a fight but really. You can't remember the last serious drink driving crash? 

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/motorist-arrested-for-drink-driving-after-prom-smash/

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=35623&headline=Drink-driver crashed car&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2017

Poor attempt at trolling. It is getting a bit boring here really isn't it as it's largely you posting all the time in every thread so I'm sure it would be nice for you if you could start a fight with another actual human being. 

The point was, I can’t remember the last crash where drink was the only factor at anywhere near the drink drive limit.

The prom one I had forgotten about, the other kind of proves my point because he was already disqualified so completely backs up the point I was making in my post.

With regard to the rest of you post, I have no idea what you are talking about?  I probably post about ten times a week and only in a small number of threads.

• Like 1