Liverpool Arms Closes

Non-Believer

1 hour ago, woolley said:

DoA, I explained what I am getting at in my post 6.53pm yesterday half way down page 4 (do we not have post numbers on MF nowadays?) so I don't want to bloat by quoting that long post again. If you don't get it from that come back to me. In a nutshell it's to do with the way the law is presented to condition everyone that nothing short of total abstinence is acceptable and that even a drink WITHIN the law makes one a pariah. I think that this is taking it too far, that's all. The position of earlier decades was better. The irresponsible "skinful" merchants who are over or massively over the limit are the ones that need stopping.

Right so let's be clear there isn't zero tolerance. You can drink as long as you stay under the limit which is the way it has been for about 50 years. I don't agree about the pariah thing for having a drink it is how it always has been...if you are law abiding

5 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Just putting a pin in this. :)

Since I walk, ride and drive it's hardly surprising I'd be in favour of road safety and against everything that diminishes it, including supposed enhancements that are in reality retrograde.

Edited by woolley

I think at least part of the problem is the huge amount of variation that even a set amount of alcohol has upon different individuals. One person might be ok with one pint or two glasses of wine. Another may start to display impaired judgement and reflexes with the same amount.

It's just so much of a lottery that for many, it's not worth taking the risk. And so it effectively becomes zero level and people feel discriminated against?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think at least part of the problem is the huge amount of variation that even a set amount of alcohol has upon different individuals. One person might be ok with one pint or two glasses of wine. Another may start to display impaired judgement and reflexes with the same amount.

It's just so much of a lottery that for many, it's not worth taking the risk. And so it effectively becomes zero level and people feel discriminated against?

The technical terms for this are pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics.  The first refers to the differing effects the same concentration of a drug will have on different individuals, and takes in things such as tolerance.  We all know regular drinkers who can seemingly function well on quantities of booze that would literally floor others.  It's also the case that the same concentration of alcohol will have a different effect if it's on the way up compared with on the way down, so in the morning you'll be less affected by a given concentration of alcohol in the blood than you were the night before.

Pharmacokinetics refers to how a given dose of drug is distributed and metabolized by individuals.  An obvious example is that a big man can take more alcohol than a small woman - he metabolises it faster and has a greater volume of distribution in the first place.  Some people have enzyme deficiencies that mean they can't process alcohol very quickly such that it stays with them longer.  I once did a breathalyzer test the morning after and found zero, whereas my drinking buddy who'd had a similar quantity was way over the limit.

There are two logical conclusions that could be drawn from all this.  The first is that the limit should be effectively zero - everyone should be as fit to drive as they can be.  The second is that we should stop measuring alcohol concentration at all and instead apply a reactions test to find out how much a particular individual in impaired at the time.  Both of these approaches have flaws, so we're probably stuck with 50, or 80, or whatever arbitrary blood concentration of alcohol the government of the day determines is the limit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, notwell said:

Some people's reactions sober are shocking.  And that's before you get on to the dope heads and people drugged up on medication.

I don't agree with a zero limit.

Unless it's you...on here... :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

There are two logical conclusions that could be drawn from all this.  The first is that the limit should be effectively zero - everyone should be as fit to drive as they can be.  

Fine. But apply it to everything. Stop them using phones of all types for a start seeing as they are more dangerous on the road than someone under the legal alcohol level. It's the hypocrisy and inconsistency of the societal approach to different risks that bemuses me.