More shootings in the U.S.

De nada

On the plus side, I understand from a shooting friend in the US, there is a huge shortage bullets! 

Seems everyone is stockpiling in anticipation of the breakdown of society, associated the election and covid. 

I think Chris Rock did a sketch years ago about similar.  Just ration bullets/make them really expensive

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Open carry state.  Anybody can walk into a supermarket carrying an AR15 and there is nothing anybody else can do about it until after they start shooting.  100 armed policemen standing at the checkout buying donuts couldn't do anything until after the shooting begins.

what could possibly go wrong?

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

The USA, where you can...have your head blown open by a nutter.

Unfortunately, without gun the existing gun control legislation the UK and Isle of Man could well be very similar.  I remember a few classmates when we were at high school being obsessed with guns and American gun culture in particular.  

I think one went on to commit murder on the Isle of Man involving an illegal fire arm.  

Interesting to compare gun deaths in other countries though. The greatest number per capita are in South and Central America, way ahead of the USA. They rarely get a mention in the news. It certainly puts our violent crime rate into the shade. It's a reminder of how rare shootings and murder are in Britain, relative to some other parts of the world. Perhaps our reaction to headline stories when violent crime is reported reflects that.

8 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Unfortunately, without gun the existing gun control legislation the UK and Isle of Man could well be very similar.  I remember a few classmates when we were at high school being obsessed with guns and American gun culture in particular.  

I think one went on to commit murder on the Isle of Man involving an illegal fire arm.  

I'm sure there would be a cohort of headbangers rushing to acquire weaponry if it was derestricted here, but nothing like the extent of gun ownership among the firearm obsessed yanks. It's an unhealthy and immutable strand of their culture - 'the guns that tamed the west'. Imagine how bonkers it would seem to outsiders if we all trooped off to Tesco tooled up with axes, knives and swords simply because our Norse ancestors were so equipped (though not in Tesco!).

50 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Interesting to compare gun deaths in other countries though. The greatest number per capita are in South and Central America, way ahead of the USA. They rarely get a mention in the news. It certainly puts our violent crime rate into the shade. It's a reminder of how rare shootings and murder are in Britain, relative to some other parts of the world. Perhaps our reaction to headline stories when violent crime is reported reflects that.

That's true but then again we don't really pay much attention to South and Central America beyond drugs and cartels which obviously link through to guns and shootings.  

Does anyone know whether Britain has a higher incidence of knife crime per head when compared to the US or South and Central America?  Does the fact that we have gun restrictions mean that knives are used more frequently?