More shootings in the U.S.

De nada

California...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57260869

A gunman has killed eight people at a commuter train yard in California, police say.

The shooting took place at the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority rail yard in San Jose on Wednesday.

Officials say the victims include transit employees and the suspect, a former employee, is also dead.

The shooting broke out at 06:45 local time (14:45GMT), transit officials say. Authorities say they are checking the scene for explosive devices.

San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo told reporters "this is a horrific day for our city".

"My attention will turn to ensuring this never happens again to our city."

He added that one person succumbed to their injuries while being transported to hospital.

• 2 weeks later...

Californian judge says...

A California judge has overturned the state's ban on assault weapons, describing the popular AR-15 rifle as "good for both home and battle".

Federal judge Roger Benitez said the law went against the constitutional Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Judge Benitez found that the way California defines military-style rifles deprives the state's residents of weapons allowed elsewhere in the US.

Governor Gavin Newsom described the ruling as a threat to public safety.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57368211.amp

21 minutes ago, De nada said:

Californian judge says...

A California judge has overturned the state's ban on assault weapons, describing the popular AR-15 rifle as "good for both home and battle".

Federal judge Roger Benitez said the law went against the constitutional Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Judge Benitez found that the way California defines military-style rifles deprives the state's residents of weapons allowed elsewhere in the US.

Governor Gavin Newsom described the ruling as a threat to public safety.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57368211.amp

Effing nutjobs the lot of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Will it be effective?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57743694

New York has become the first US state to declare a disaster emergency order to address rising gun violence.

New York state saw 51 shootings over the 4 July holiday weekend, Governor Andrew Cuomo said as he signed the executive order.

It comes amid reports of a rise in gun deaths countrywide, including nearly 200 over the past weekend.

In March, the FBI released preliminary 2020 statistics showing a significant jump - 25% - in murders from the year before. So far, the upward trend has continued into 2021. In the US, the majority of homicides are gun-related.

1 hour ago, De nada said:

Will it be effective?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57743694

New York has become the first US state to declare a disaster emergency order to address rising gun violence.

New York state saw 51 shootings over the 4 July holiday weekend, Governor Andrew Cuomo said as he signed the executive order.

It comes amid reports of a rise in gun deaths countrywide, including nearly 200 over the past weekend.

In March, the FBI released preliminary 2020 statistics showing a significant jump - 25% - in murders from the year before. So far, the upward trend has continued into 2021. In the US, the majority of homicides are gun-related.

150 deaths across the USA over the July 4th weekend.

37 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

150 deaths across the USA over the July 4th weekend.

Is anyone surprised? They have more than their fair share of nutters and they have easy access to guns. 

If they don’t care enough to do anything about it then I find it hard to care about the continuing shootings. 

27 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Is anyone surprised? They have more than their fair share of nutters and they have easy access to guns. 

If they don’t care enough to do anything about it then I find it hard to care about the continuing shootings. 

But 150 in a weekend? That takes some doing...

40 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I'm surprised it wasn't more than 150 

On 7/7/2021 at 11:24 AM, The Old Git said:

But they still won’t do anything about it so why bother about it?

The difficulty surely is that there are already too many guns in circulation.

Even if you managed to get a gun amnesty or similar across the line, then it's unlikely that any of the illegally held guns would get handed in.

If everyone else had a gun, then frankly I'd want a gun (I used to have a licence over here, but handed it in due to kids and too many other hobbies).  I think this is an entirely sensible stance. 

I can't see any kind of sensible solution to this - apart from the limitation/regulation of the full assault weapons, which lets face it are not required.  99% of the time you'd need a gun (for hunting, sport, or home defence) a semi-auto with 5-10 rounds would be sufficient. 

Friend of mine in the US (another radio guy) had a gun. Went to visit his ex-wife to just say hello, check she was OK and as he approached the house it was being burgled. He went for his 'piece' but the burglar was faster.

K7PT SK - Log4OM

Edited by GD4ELI

18 hours ago, The Phantom said:

The difficulty surely is that there are already too many guns in circulation.

If they don’t think it’s worth trying to make a start then why should anyone else worry if they keep shooting themselves?

Meanwhile, they’re flying drones on Mars. I’d have thought that was difficult?

2 hours ago, The Old Git said:

Meanwhile, they’re flying drones on Mars. I’d have thought that was difficult?

Despite flying helicopters on Mars, we're also unable to create a toaster that won't burn toast without being closely supervised....