More shootings in the U.S.

De nada

20 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Friend of mine in the US (another radio guy) had a gun. Went to visit his ex-wife to just say hello, check she was OK and as he approached the house it was being burgled. He went for his 'piece' but the burglar was faster.

K7PT SK - Log4OM

Sorry to hear that.  But what's to say he wouldn't have been shot anyway?

Two schools of thought on this definitely.  My relations in SA are similarly split.  One won't carry even a knife in case he antagonizes a situation.  Another always has his gun on him together with various other tactical EDC and actively tries to get me to borrow one of his when I'm down there. 

I've spent quite a lot of time in relatively sketchy countries, where carrying is not out of the ordinary.  However, these are generally African/South American countries which you'd consider fairly 'lawless' compared to the US.  

Personally, if ALL of the bad guys had guns; I'd definitely want one! 

14 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Sorry to hear that.  But what's to say he wouldn't have been shot anyway?

Two schools of thought on this definitely.  My relations in SA are similarly split.  One won't carry even a knife in case he antagonizes a situation.  Another always has his gun on him together with various other tactical EDC and actively tries to get me to borrow one of his when I'm down there. 

I've spent quite a lot of time in relatively sketchy countries, where carrying is not out of the ordinary.  However, these are generally African/South American countries which you'd consider fairly 'lawless' compared to the US.  

Personally, if ALL of the bad guys had guns; I'd definitely want one! 

He would not have gone for the burglar without a gun.

1 hour ago, The Old Git said:

Sounds like you need a better toaster. Ours is fine. 

So's mine - Siemens. ASDA beans & vegan sausages with some chilli sauce on seeded brown toast - best way to start the day.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57840801

According to Washington DC crime statistics, the rate of assaults committed with a gun has risen each year since 2018. So far, 455 assaults with a gun have been reported in 2021. This time last year, there had been 422.

Across major US cities, rates of homicides and shootings are up, says University of Pennsylvania Professor David Abrams, who created the website City Crime Stats last summer to track how the pandemic has affected crime.

"Homicides are, in most of these cities, outpacing - and in some cases by a lot - rates that we've seen for the last several years," says Prof Abrams.

• 4 months later...

Congressman Thomas Massie and his family bearing a collection of military-style assault riflesImage source, @REPTHOMASMASSIE
Image caption,
Thomas Massie's photo was posted on Twitter a few days after a Michigan school shooting left four students dead

A US congressman has faced a barrage of criticism after he posted a Christmas photograph of his family posing with military-style rifles, just days after a deadly school shooting.

2 hours ago, De nada said:

Congressman Thomas Massie and his family bearing a collection of military-style assault riflesImage source, @REPTHOMASMASSIE
Image caption,
Thomas Massie's photo was posted on Twitter a few days after a Michigan school shooting left four students dead

A US congressman has faced a barrage of criticism after he posted a Christmas photograph of his family posing with military-style rifles, just days after a deadly school shooting.

Jesus.  He's got an M60! 

Even with me being fairly pro-gun, there is absolutely zero reason a civilian needs a full machine gun. 

21 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I think they’re just made to look like that. They’re not the real thing.

Unfortunately not.  If you've got enough money, jump through enough hoops and aren't crazy or a criminal, it's totally possible to be able to own a machine gun in the US.   Plus he's a congressman, so all the above would probably just be tickbox exercise if he wanted one. 

https://www.therange702.com/blog/can-you-legally-own-a-machine-gun/

I can kind of accept the argument for assault rifles (back row) as people do hunt/are exposed to pretty big dangerous animals in the US. 

I'd question the need for submachine guns though too - that whole front row is a little disturbing...

Edited by The Phantom

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Jesus.  He's got an M60! 

Even with me being fairly pro-gun, there is absolutely zero reason a civilian needs a full machine gun. 

Isn't the argument about gun ownership in the US based on being able to stand up to a corrupt Government?  Isn't this guy a member of the US Government and he still feels the need to have those weapons?  

Hmm...

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I think they’re just made to look like that. They’re not the real thing.

Even so though…

I think that the image posted here has been compressed because it certainly looks more doctored than the original one. 

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Isn't the argument about gun ownership in the US based on being able to stand up to a corrupt Government? 

Yeah some twaddle along those lines.  Not sure if any US Govt has ever sat and genuinely considered their decisions based upon the small possibility of the population rising up as a militia against them however.

But as I said, there are a lot of big dangerous animals and hunting, so I think gun ownership at a certain level is understandable (not machine guns however).

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

But as I said, there are a lot of big dangerous animals and hunting, so I think gun ownership at a certain level is understandable (not machine guns however).

Sure but to hunt you need stopping power with accuracy. None of which are on display here.

Trump said " When the looting starts, the shooting starts..."

That pic has white supremacist written all over it. Surprised there are no pictures of Kyle Rittenhouse on the walls...

Kyle Rittenhouse not guilty on all charges, Corporal. The accusations fired against him have also proved to be fallacious.

I see an AR-15 type weapon there and a 12-gauge. No stopping power? Strangely enough I watched a video down range today. A 1oz slug from a smooth-bore 12 gauge penetrated an inch and three quarters formica worktop and a 45 gallon oil-drum at 230yds.

No stopping power 😄

A 5.56/45mm AR round will be accurate for what, 3-400yds? 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, quilp said:

Kyle Rittenhouse not guilty on all charges, Corporal. The accusations fired against him have also proved to be fallacious.

I see an AR-15 type weapon there and a 12-gauge. No stopping power? Strangely enough I watched a video down range today. A 1oz slug from a smooth-bore 12 gauge penetrated an inch and three quarters formica worktop and a 45 gallon oil-drum at 230yds.

No stopping power 😄

A 5.56/45mm AR round will be accurate for what, 3-400yds? 

As it's christmas.

I see an M60, Uzi, Thompson SMG, AR-15's etc but no shotguns.

Automatic weapons, like all those on display, are inherently inaccurate because they have moving parts activated when the shot is fired. For accuracy the only moving part you want is the firing pin which moves prior to the discharge. A shotgun has no rifling in the barrel so it's fire and forget.

The 7.62 round fired by the M60 has the most hitting power at range of the lot.

Familiar with air guns? Of course you are. Ever wondered why UK pellets were .177 and .22? It's because they are .45 cm and .55 cm. So a .22 airgun pellet makes pretty much the same hole as a .556 round from an AR-15. Sure it lacks the kinetic energy but you get the idea.

At the infamous "Black Hawk Down" raid on Mogadishu those using .556 "slap" rounds found they were ineffective compared to Randy Shughart's 7.62.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

As I alluded to before, it has been written elsewhere on this subject that these guns were specifically made to look like the guns you have mentioned but in fact, they are not. 

Even if true it doesn't change the message that the picture is supposed to portray one iota.