More shootings in the U.S.

De nada

14 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Understandably, whenever there's another school shooting the focus is always on America's gun culture, but I think that this obscures a deeper problem that's usually missed. The school shootings invariably have one thing in common: they are nearly always by teenage boys. I'd argue that it's as much about the failures and lack of adult authority in American schools, communities and the family that creates these twisted teenage assassins. We're beginning to see the same problems in the U.K. particularly among black teenage drug gangs in London, but mercifully school shootings here are still rare (Dunblane is still an exception) and gun control is much stricter. 

The school shootings might be done mostly by teenagers, but the overwhelming majority of mass shootings aren’t.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers_in_the_United_States

6 hours ago, quilp said:

The executive summary rather confirms what I thought and why I questioned @Shake me up Judy on their post...

"It is therefore evident that the relative overrepresentation of BAME people in arrest, prosecution and conviction statistics, particularly as this relates to drug offences, cannot be separated out, or understood independently from, police targeting of areas with high proportions of BAME communities. It is reasonable to conclude that this interrelationship between policing and recorded offending exaggerates the extent to which the ethnic categories are then disproportionately understood to be involved in crime more generally (see Bowling and Phillips, 2007)."[footnote 1]

36 minutes ago, quilp said:

So you read the article till you found your confirmation bias. Well done... 

And you just turn a blind eye to the evidence that suggests the issues in London are not just a problem in the black community. 

The best thing is it's a report that you cited...

Not at all. The are no facts in that article that I'd disagree with. There is a problem with gang culture, knife-crime, county lines drug sales, etc. Disproportionate representations, not enough is being done to counter the problem.

That's all I've got say on this...

19 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

The problem isn’t guns, it’s too many doors.

That’s republic senator ted cruz, who once tried to ban the sale of dildos in Texas. 

this guy is a bellend of epic proportions, some of the horseshit he spouts has to be heard to be believed but he's a capital R red and thats a guaranteed vote in Texas 'the vote for anyone as long as its not a Democrat' state.

Most sane people want to see the end of gun ownership in America, but it's not going to happen. There are estimated to be over 400 million legally owned firearms in the USA. That's just the legal stuff. Try to get your head round that. I can't.

It's very hard for us to understand, but there are tens of millions of Americans who own guns who would never, ever use them against another human being. Unless they had to. Decent; law abiding; hard working; respectful; nice ordinary people who believe in family, community and country, who mind their own business and wouldn't hurt a fly. Unless they had to. I've met plenty of them who'll once again be sickened by this latest shooting. But they understand that their beautiful country can also on rare occasions be a sick, violent place. Just one of those decent people could have prevented mass murder - but only with a gun. That's a hell of a truth and a moral tautology, but I haven't heard the answer yet. The truth is probably that much of the problem goes deeper than gun ownership and lies in America's individualist culture; a culture that can empower the minds of disturbed teenagers to go out and slaughter innocent schoolchildren for some sick fantasy. Despite the easy temptation to think it, it's not just all about the guns.     

• Thanks 1