More shootings in the U.S.

De nada

The details in the case make for difficult reading I agree. The stats in the article show very much a broken, imperfect system of execution. Yet they still choose to go down that road. 

Stays of execution made even up to the last minute are surely in themselves a form of torture knowing that one phone call from one individual means life or death.

It does beg the question of whether the US are fit and able to call out the human rights of other countries that still have barbaric methods of torture / execution when this is the best they themselves can come up with.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 6:24 AM, Apple said:

The details in the case make for difficult reading I agree. The stats in the article show very much a broken, imperfect system of execution. Yet they still choose to go down that road. 

Stays of execution made even up to the last minute are surely in themselves a form of torture knowing that one phone call from one individual means life or death.

It does beg the question of whether the US are fit and able to call out the human rights of other countries that still have barbaric methods of torture / execution when this is the best they themselves can come up with.

The US seem to be able to pedal hypocrisy. At the start of the war in Ukraine I saw Antony Blinken say in a speech "how dare Russia use starvation as a weapon by withholding food from people"...what about all the sanctions that the US have on country's around the world.

The USA has to be the worst country for humanity....feckin American dream= the rest of the worlds nightmare

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thorulf said:

The USA has to be the worst country for humanity....feckin American dream= the rest of the worlds nightmare

I’m not sure that’s true.

I am not a fan of the death penalty ( seems a bit strange writing that) but there are other countries who use it with no appeals, and in a much more inhumane way.

9 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m not sure that’s true.

I am not a fan of the death penalty ( seems a bit strange writing that) but there are other countries who use it with no appeals, and in a much more inhumane way.

I like the USA as a place and I have American friends but I am talking about the way it's run.

The USA is supposed to be a top modern democratic country not one of these other countries you mention,compare the US with European countries instead.

Death penalties, highest rate of incarnation, draconian abortion laws, no free health care, no maternity leave not to mention the strangle hold on people in places like Cuba, Venezuela, Iran.....I could go on.

Have a look at the good country index. A measure of how good a country is for the world. 1,Sweeden 2,Denmark 3,Germany....14, UK Screenshot_20230105_071916_Firefox.thumb.jpg.63b7bf009a1a56f96b1f971fa1a1faf9.jpg

Utah

A 42-year-old man shot seven members of his family before killing himself in the US state of Utah after his wife filed for divorce, police said.

The family of eight were found dead inside a rural home in Enoch City on Wednesday night during a welfare check at the property.

Police say the victims included the man's wife, his five children and his mother-in-law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64172722

Edited by De nada
Update.

21 hours ago, De nada said:

Utah

A 42-year-old man shot seven members of his family before killing himself in the US state of Utah after his wife filed for divorce, police said.

The family of eight were found dead inside a rural home in Enoch City on Wednesday night during a welfare check at the property.

Police say the victims included the man's wife, his five children and his mother-in-law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64172722

Very very sad. 

What make a man kill his loved ones, the mind can be a terrible thing when its not working well.  

Same sort of thing as as Christopher Foster from UK in 2009.  Killed wife, daughter, dogs, horses then set the house on fire and then killed himself.   

Or a similar event by James Killey from Doarlish Ard near Foxdale in 1800's tried to kill his wife, killed a few of his kids and threw them in a well then jumped in himself.  

The silicon chip inside his head
Gets switched to overload,
And nobody's gonna go to school today
Daddy's gonna make them stay at home.  

Virginia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64194407

A six-year-old boy has been detained by police after shooting a teacher in the US state of Virginia, officers say.

The shooting happened shortly after 14:00 local time (19:00 GMT) at Richneck Elementary School in the city of Newport News, Chief Steve Drew said.

It is unclear how the child obtained the gun, but Mr Drew said the incident was not "an accidental shooting".

The teacher - who has not been named and is said to be in her 30s - was left with life-threatening injuries.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, De nada said:

Virginia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64194407

A six-year-old boy has been detained by police after shooting a teacher in the US state of Virginia, officers say.

The shooting happened shortly after 14:00 local time (19:00 GMT) at Richneck Elementary School in the city of Newport News, Chief Steve Drew said.

It is unclear how the child obtained the gun, but Mr Drew said the incident was not "an accidental shooting".

The teacher - who has not been named and is said to be in her 30s - was left with life-threatening injuries.

Just heard that on the radio. Kid’s in police custody. Knowing the US he’ll probably get tried as an adult and get a capital sentence 🙄

14 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Just heard that on the radio. Kid’s in police custody. Knowing the US he’ll probably get tried as an adult and get a capital sentence 🙄

The parents will get in some serious trouble as well - assuming it was their gun.

• 2 weeks later...

L.A. (Monterey Park)

Police say ten people were killed after a gunman opened fire at a business premises at about 22:20 local time on Saturday (06:20 GMT on Sunday).

Thousands of people had earlier gathered in the city, which sits just east of Los Angeles, to celebrate the lunar new year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-64365251

Edited by De nada
Update

On 1/22/2023 at 9:46 AM, De nada said:

L.A. (Monterey Park)

Police say ten people were killed after a gunman opened fire at a business premises at about 22:20 local time on Saturday (06:20 GMT on Sunday).

Thousands of people had earlier gathered in the city, which sits just east of Los Angeles, to celebrate the lunar new year.

California police have identified the gunman suspected of killing 10 people in a ballroom dance studio near Los Angeles as Huu Can Tran, 72, who was later found dead in a white van.

He had a self-inflicted gunshot wound and was declared dead at the scene, LA County Sheriff Robert Luna said.

Updated to 11 fatalities ...

Edited by De nada
Updated