Airline Subsidy?

lectro

PACKET GETS PAYOUT TO BOOST SEATS

THE sole ferry operator is to get a government handout to carry more passengers to enable it to compete against low-cost airlines.

The Steam Packet Company will receive £2 for each seat it adds in a move similar to a boost given to airlines to guarantee critical capacity.

From IOMONLINE.

My question is to do with the last line - is it implying that the Govt is subsidising air carriers that service the Isle of Man? Just curious as I thought this was illegal.

THE sole ferry operator is to get a government handout to carry more passengers to enable it to compete against low-cost airlines.

The Steam Packet Company will receive £2 for each seat it adds in a move similar to a boost given to airlines to guarantee critical capacity.

From IOMONLINE.

My question is to do with the last line - is it implying that the Govt is subsidising air carriers that service the Isle of Man? Just curious as I thought this was illegal.

LOL..i love the bit about "competition" from "low cost" airlines! Iam sure that the average journey time from here to Liverpool is quicker on the Sea Cat than it is with EuroManx. Not really but you get my drift!

WTF

I'm sorry but isn't this evolution? Next they'll be subsidising the horse trams because of the competition from cars.

People fly because its quicker and more convenient (and some people don't like sailing). The SteamPacket should be happy they are the sole ferry operator, that in itself is a perk.

I'll help the SteamPacket compete with airlines - get them to lower their prices.

No doubt, the next story will read;

EUROMANX GETS PAYOUT TO BOOST SEATS

EUROMANX is to get a government handout to carry more passengers to enable it to compete against low-cost ferry companies.

EuroManx will receive £2 for each seat it adds in a move similar to a boost given to ferry operators to guarantee critical capacity.

awww don't talk to me about bloody airlines!

I've just been pricing how much it will cost to go home at xmas. Now, bearing in mind that i'm only going one way, so firstly I went on to Air NZ and one way was £670, not bad considering the time of year, but then thought how much would it be return, and that turned out to be £1180. So, one way it is, bob on, sorted, nice one!

Then I went to BA to see about a one way flight to Gatwick - and that was £180. Curiosity got the better of me and I checked out how much for a return - and can you believe it.............£89.10!!! Now excuse me, but WTF is the common-sense in that! How can a one way be TWICE the amount of a return???

So bollocks to you BA, booked a return and can already hear "BA flight 4410 to Isle of Man, would Ms XXXXX please go to gate 12, where you flight is ready to leave"

My Mum has been through that BA return saga and when she told the person on the end of the phone "If you tell me that again madam I will have no option but to cancel your booking."

The threat being not showing up for the return would result in the customer paying for the more expensive one way price.

Dumbasses

And another thing.

The Government can't afford to be giving out this money willy nilly, we have debts to pay and a High School to find money for!

If the Steam Packet can't make money at £300 return with a car then their days are numbered. I'm sure someone who can will soon fill their spot! :D

Hmm..the last time I looked, the Packet still made healty profits and all the freight operators won't switch to air travel, will they? And freight is where the money is...

How you can subsidise a profit making company that holds a monopoly is beyond me....

And I hope some of that goes towards staff wages - the crews are still paid bugger all for a not-very-easy job...

Quote Iomonline: "Special offers have reduced the return fare to Liverpool to £30 – the lowest for a decade – in a bid to fill those seats at other times."

Incorrect !

I paid £9.80 each way two summers ago.

That makes £19.60.....

http://www.steam-packet.com/SteamPacket/Ne...team+Packet.htm

The prices that I quote included on line discount.

Archived