Opera, High Arts, and British Politics.

Manximus Aururaneus

I'm not sure why your widening it out to talk about something else, something he wasn't talking about. 

Proms in the Park is clearly a commercial event that provides an income stream for the BBC and goes towards the overall costs of the Proms. It seems a little disingenuous to widen that out to the Proms as a whole because (I believe) Woody's stance would be 1. Proms in the Park - survives in the market, 2. The Proms requires government subsidy via the BBC*

From what I can tell your point that I was replying to was - 

1. The BBC ticket prices are tiny compared with any typical commercial event. 
  2. Also factor in that the orchestras and other performers will invariably also and separately be publicly funded.
  3. And the venues.

The distinction is valid. The Proms in the Park was priced simillar to other open air events, most of the performers were the commercial light classic artists (classic fm type) and the venue was a park hired for the occasion. 

*(I should add that I don't personally see that way but Woody does. To me the BBC isn't funded by  government or tax payers - it's a subscription service and The Proms fall with the remit of that subscription). 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Declan said:

1. Proms in the Park - survives in the market

Typically (perhaps always) only with very significant subsidy from local government as well as regional publics arts and tourism bodies. However you look at it these are publicly funded events. I am not opposed to that - but it undermines Woody’s argument that these are commercial.

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Typically (perhaps always) only with very significant subsidy from local government as well as regional publics arts and tourism bodies. However you look at it these are publicly funded events. I am not opposed to that - but it undermines Woody’s argument that these are commercial.

quite a few we do are at privately owned stately homes.....

what gets me the most about the subsidy is that its not going to the musicians some of which are lucky to get expenses never mind wages instead its given to support (usually ex CS types) a army of managers,directors and CEO's who do sod all......  

30 minutes ago, pongo said:

Are the non BBC ones branded as “Proms In The Park”? Presumably someone owns a trademark for that.

yes they are, its a generic term like "party in the park" which are usually held on the same weekend at the same venue.....

don't know if anyone has trademarked it, but its widely used......

also "last night of the proms" is used with no link to the beeb.....

Where, I struggle with this Pongo is a lot of the government investment goes to big organisations with lots of old men with titles on the boards. Generally they play cover versions of tunes by dead middle Europeans and quite a narrow selection of tunes at that. 

When perhaps the government assistance that’s been most effective since the war seems to be the art schools of the sixties and the Enterprise Allowance Schemes of the eighties. 

We think the island is a cultural wasteland.

It may well suit some, but it doesn't suit us.

So every year we spend a week in Italy based in Verona and over the winter bang in as many shows/gigs as we can.

Works for us...

37 minutes ago, P.K. said:

We think the island is a cultural wasteland.

It may well suit some, but it doesn't suit us.

So every year we spend a week in Italy based in Verona and over the winter bang in as many shows/gigs as we can.

Works for us...

and taxpayers:thumbsup: let the italian/germans pay.......

Archived