Road Tax Increases

Tempus Fugit

Apart from a 5% increase in the basic fees, there is an additional £5 tax to raise extra revenue to provide additional safety measures and miscellaneous other expenses which the department have no funds for.

THIS IS A STEALTH TAX.

It is despicable to raise taxes on the motoring public by this means.

It is money which should be raised in estimates and department budgets.

Wow..5 Quid! That's outrageous! Take to the Streets! Revolution!

Little comparison:

My car, Mercedes 230E, built 1984, 2300ccm engine, insured on TPF&T:

Germany: Vehicle is taxed on the basis of Euro Emission norm and a whole lot of other factors - old Merc with no catalyst: Euro 25,36 per 100ccm = 583.28 (£400.75)

IOM: Car is taxed by volume of engine - £ 116 (just got the letter to renew it)

UK mainland: When I signed up for my car insurance, I had the guy on the phone quote me the premium for my car if I lived in Liverpool (just to see the difference) - one bad postcode later, and I would have paid 3 times as much...

IOM: Best postcodes for car insurance in the whole of Great Britain - Insurance: cheap

UK/Europe/Everywhere Else: Loads of speed cameras and really expensive parking when you dare to stop in town

IOM: None of the above

Although I don't want to totally disagree with the point you're trying to make TF, I'm still quite ok with paying for my car over here - I'm more with you on this one:

On the subject to the raw cost of fuel, I have never been able to understand how they can add petrol duty, then add vat on the duty, - a tax on a tax !

Never understood that myself...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived