Moorehouse Strikes Again

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Best thing that can be done for that road is make it a clearway.

Roads are for driving on, a thoroughfare,  not an extension of a property or as a right to park a car. The situation is especially irritating when in many such cases (Colby, Strang Road, St Johns etc) the (lazy and selfish) residents have a perfectly good driveway to park on.

My mother would vote for Satan himself if he promised to ban parking on the Main Road in Colby.

She was born in her Grandmother’s house along there, and it stayed in the family for about 100 years and she always says “we never used to park there”.  Of course they never had a car but she has a point it’s getting out of hand. 

I’ve tried explaining that in a few years when driverless taxis take over it won’t be a problem but she’s not having any of it. 

9 minutes ago, Declan said:

My mother would vote for Satan himself if he promised to ban parking on the Main Road in Colby.

She was born in her Grandmother’s house along there, and it stayed in the family for about 100 years and she always says “we never used to park there”.  Of course they never had a car but she has a point it’s getting out of hand. 

I’ve tried explaining that in a few years when driverless taxis take over it won’t be a problem but she’s not having any of it. 

Do you mean the 10,000 driverless cabs that will be active for 30 mins twice each day?

no queues there then 

Edited by dilligaf

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Do you mean the 10,000 driverless cabs that will be active for 30 mins twice each day?

Well, working patterns are changing and more people will work remotely. You’d probably cab share too. So the peak number required will be lower than you imagine. 

And they’ll not be idle during the rest of the time - there’s deliveries for supermarkets, Just Eat / Deliveroo type services. 

But best of all they won’t spend most of the time parked up outside people’s houses or making the Prom look untidy. 

17 minutes ago, Declan said:

Of course she has a point. And if you have nowhere to park a car either don't have a car or move to a house that has parking.

It is a selfish person indeed who parks in the public road whilst people have to stop and start because of it. More so of course when they have a driveway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

Well, working patterns are changing and more people will work remotely. You’d probably cab share too. So the peak number required will be lower than you imagine. 

And they’ll not be idle during the rest of the time - there’s deliveries for supermarkets, Just Eat / Deliveroo type services. 

But best of all they won’t spend most of the time parked up outside people’s houses or making the Prom look untidy. 

I agree with the last bit

7 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Of course she has a point. And if you have nowhere to park a car either don't have a car or move to a house that has parking.

It is a selfish person indeed who parks in the public road whilst people have to stop and start because of it. More so of course when they have a driveway.

thats 90% of douglas then

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

thats 90% of douglas then

Not at all.

most roads in town are easily passable, apart from the housing estates. Williston(sp),Marathon Drive etc.

You have to expect that the parking is going to be difficult around town, but in the country like Colby , Ballabeg, Crosby, Kirk Michael and Laxey it is plain selfish to block a carriage way with one’s car

More double yellows, much more are required to ease the traffic flow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Colby and Ballabeg are two very frustrating villages to drive through. Not that bad in a car, but a ball ache for HGV drivers

I don’t miss that

But the plod and relevant departments prefer it that way as it reduces speed through them. They’d prefer that all thoroughfares should be parked upon at all times. Surprised it wasn’t in the recent road strategy.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gizo said:

But the plod and relevant departments prefer it that way as it reduces speed through them. They’d prefer that all thoroughfares should be parked upon at all times. Surprised it wasn’t in the recent road strategy.  

Trouble with their thinking is that having been held up so many times for no real reason, drivers are mostly then pissed off and will drive faster and have shorter fuses than had they been afforded easy passage through said towns and villages

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gizo said:

One good downpour and Friary Farm will be flooded

Can't wait.

It really is completely weird what they've done there. The issue was one of sightlines for traffic leaving friary park apparently, they could have cleaned the mirrors opposite which might have helped. Instead they've rebuilt the kerbs in almost the same place and dumped 20 tons of tamac in some bizarre mishapen ramp platform thing. It doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Can't wait.

It really is completely weird what they've done there. The issue was one of sightlines for traffic leaving friary park apparently, they could have cleaned the mirrors opposite which might have helped. Instead they've rebuilt the kerbs in almost the same place and dumped 20 tons of tamac in some bizarre mishapen ramp platform thing. It doesn't make any sense.

I wonder if the former President of Tynwald had much influence in this. (actually, I don't wonder)