Moorehouse Strikes Again

Manx Bean

12 minutes ago, gettafa said:

If you live in Douglas - and don't have a garage/driveway -  a car shouldn't be essential. Point being - if you have a car you need somewhere other than the public highway, to park it.

Why should the car not be essential?

Not everyone can afford a driveway or garage and they may work in Ramsey or Port Erin

Maybe I have missed your point there.

Should logic be applied to work places too then

If no parking is provided you can’t employ people ?

Edited by dilligaf

I'm, being somewhat extreme and idealistic but things are only going one way on the already crowded roads.

If you want a car make sure you have somewhere to  park it.  What's wrong with that? The days of assuming you can park on the road outside your house as of right are long gone.

If you are going to employ people and they need a car for their work make sure they have somewhere to park. Ditto.

2 hours ago, Declan said:

ve tried explaining that in a few years when driverless taxis take over it won’t be a problem but she’s not having any of it. 

Your Mother obviously has a more cynical and therefore, more realistic outlook on how motoring will evolve????:P

1 hour ago, Gizo said:
3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Colby and Ballabeg are two very frustrating villages to drive through. Not that bad in a car, but a ball ache for HGV drivers

I don’t miss that

But the plod and relevant departments prefer it that way as it reduces speed through them. They’d prefer that all thoroughfares should be parked upon at all times. Surprised it wasn’t in the recent road strategy.  

sadly, you are most likely correct.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

I'm, being somewhat extreme and idealistic but things are only going one way on the already crowded roads.

If you want a car make sure you have somewhere to  park it.  What's wrong with that? The days of assuming you can park on the road outside your house as of right are long gone.

If you are going to employ people and they need a car for their work make sure they have somewhere to park. Ditto.

It’s sort of ignoring that we live in a time where people’s primary means of getting about is a car though! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

In agree to a point. But when the roads are full of parked commercial vans and trucks ( don't even start me on fucking campers ) which should be off road parked and what has been forgotten, named on both sides to know who's they are.

A road near me is full of vans without names and mostly owned by people who have run out of parking permits and who live in council houses.

They rock up each morning in their cars, jump into their vans on just piss off to work. Not giving two f**** about those who actually live here and would like to park their car somewhere near their houses.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s sort of ignoring that we live in a time where people’s primary means of getting about is a car though! 

And that's the point. One of the beauties (?) about living in Douglas is that everything is, or should be, in walking distance - shops, schools, work, entertainment, leisure.

OK, have a car if you really must, but don't expect to be able to park outside your house on the public highway. Those days are surely going. (Howarden Avenue, Victoria Road, Ballaquayle Road for a start)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gettafa said:

And that's the point. One of the beauties (?) about living in Douglas is that everything is, or should be, in walking distance - shops, schools, work, entertainment, leisure.

OK, have a car if you really must, but don't expect to be able to park outside your house on the public highway. Those days are surely going. (Howarden Avenue, Victoria Road, Ballaquayle Road for a start)

But that’s why the traffic is so bad as idiots then buy cheap houses in Ballatwattleworth because they own cars (like 90% of the population) and can’t park them if they bought a house in Douglas so they just move somewhere where they need a car to drive into work and clog up the roads even more for everyone else. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

I suppose on logic, I am going to have to concede defeat.

Or suggest a Congestion Charge:

Summerhill - Corkills Garage - Governors Bridge - St Ninians - Bottom of Bray Hill - Quarterbridge - Pulrose Bridge - Douglas Bridge.

That should do it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I suppose on logic, I am going to have to concede defeat.

Or suggest a Congestion Charge:

Summerhill - Corkills Garage - Governors Bridge - St Ninians - Bottom of Bray Hill - Quarterbridge - Pulrose Bridge - Douglas Bridge.

That should do it. 

I’d suggest the DOI brings in a no fuck up charge. Where as a commuter you pay extra for the promise of them not to totally fuck up your ability to get from A to B like a normal person in any normal country subject only to normal rules of state funded incompetence

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’d suggest the DOI brings in a no fuck up charge. Where as a commuter you pay extra for the promise of them not to totally fuck up your ability to get from A to B like a normal person in any normal country subject only to normal rules of state funded incompetence

its called the vehicle licence, but the DOI isn't holding up its side of the deal.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The Ballabeg Clusterfuck sound like a hip-hop collective of particularly dodgy Manx rappers. It includes Killah Killabrega, Masta Spaldrixx, Gangsta-Mann, Chief Fist-Ard and Hot Meayll.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...