Register Of Interests For Manx Politicos

kellyiom

this may already exist so please feel free to correct me. Do we have any such register where politicians have to declare sources of income, note any potential conflicts of interests and if they receive funds from donors to sponsor election campaigns?

• 9 months later...

"STANDING COMMITTEE OF TYNWALD ON STANDARDS AND MEMBERS’ INTERESTS, Register of Members’ Interests Rules 2003, Approved by Tynwald 9th December 2003, Coming into operation on 1st February 2004"

Register of Members’ Interests Rules 2003

"Inspection of the Register

12. The printed copy of the Register referred to in Rule 3 shall be available for inspection free of charge in the Tynwald Library during normal hours.

13. Any person giving the Registrar twenty four hours written notice, shall be entitled to see a printed copy of the Register updated to the day of inspection, and to receive that copy, or any part of it, on payment of a copying charge determined from time to time by the Tynwald Management Committee."

Apart from this recent innovation there still remains the inclination to elect only Manx connected people.

While I applaude the loyalty of the local population I question the intelligence of this tack.

Elect people that have local connections, family and friends, businesses and lodges, contacts and favours to bestow and repay by all means, but don't be suprised when the minister of finance, allegedly, sells the post office to his brother in law even while on holiday with his wife, Julie. When an unelected lobby throws out ministerial decisions, even if they are one and the same body.

IMHO the the register of interests is no more than the first place to look when seeking the truth.

Archived