Plans for lord street

Blaine

14 hours ago, Max Power said:

I have to admit that I think that the bus station should have been refurbished and reorganised as a proper transport hub but This to me is really encouraging. Here are some better images from the BBC...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-45113659

......you beat me to it Max. Exactly that, what about the bus station?.............

6 minutes ago, woody2 said:

£25m job so iomg will put in £80m.....

And with the much-vaunted 10:1 "multiplier effect" throughout the economy that should pay off a big lump of the pensions liability. Win win! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, mollag said:

Any thoughts on the style shown? It's incongruous for the area.it looks a lot like the Palace hotel, Gubay built a better style with the apartments on Head road IMHO

Almost all 'new' buildings in Douglas are incongruous. This new development won't look out of place any more than any others, except perhaps for the size.

And speaking of size.... if the development is going to be an all-in-one connected building then it will look rather intimidating and cast a shadow across the road over the development on the opposite side of Lord Street. But perhaps I'm being too picky!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Almost all 'new' buildings in Douglas are incongruous. This new development won't look out of place any more than any others, except perhaps for the size.

the NSC , power station,  incinerator all look like traditional tholtans if you stand far enough away.   every building in douglas was new at one point and modern for it's time,  why we have to save old shit buildings and not build new styles i have no idea.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, but it is an eyesore along with those other sites.

Is it? It's not aesthetically any great shakes, but that doesn't make it an eyesore. More a neutral space. It doesn't overwhelm anything, or block light or views of the quay. It's better than almost everything in Lord Street. 

I don't have an objection to the proposal, which doesn't seem incongruous now the Douglas has been turned into a Nandos. But cut the hyperbole. 

Incidentally, why so many parking spaces? 

25 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

To replace (and expand?) the car park it is being built on? Maybe to help get it through planning.

Doesn't building car parks just encourage people to drive into Douglas.

Anyway no one will own cars by the time anything is built there. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Park and rides don't work on the Isle of Man because it is too small and people are too lazy. Best form of park and ride over here is leave the car at home and get the bus.

Lots used to be drive to Shoprite in Port Erin, then bus to Douglas from Bridson Street.  

I was thinking more driverless taxis replacing car ownership. You could bus into town, do your shopping then when tired and weighed down with bags have one meet you at the shop.

You wouldn't be tied down to one type of vehicle then - taking your kid and his mates to 5 a side - dial a SUV; fancy a drive in country - book a convertible; need to transport a new bookcase; home get a van; big date; get a limo.