Plans for lord street

Blaine

12 minutes ago, Declan said:

Lots used to be drive to Shoprite in Port Erin, then bus to Douglas from Bridson Street.  

I was thinking more driverless taxis replacing car ownership. You could bus into town, do your shopping then when tired and weighed down with bags have one meet you at the shop.

You wouldn't be tied down to one type of vehicle then - taking your kid and his mates to 5 a side - dial a SUV; fancy a drive in country - book a convertible; need to transport a new bookcase; home get a van; big date; get a limo. 

but back in the real world......

• Like 2

You don't have a car do you Declan? A great many people are seriously hooked on cars, far more than you'd think. And driverless taxis are so far into the future for here that we'll be dead by the time they ever make it, and something better will exist anyway.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

You don't have a car do you Declan? A great many people are seriously hooked on cars, far more than you'd think. And driverless taxis are so far into the future for here that we'll be dead by the time they ever make it, and something better will exist anyway.

monorail......

25 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What makes you think anything will be built on the bus station before then? 

I was thinking after my post that the downside of my vision is people being addicted to cars. Especially since the infrastructure has been built to fuel that addiction. But it’s not like all the private cars will disappear overnight, some will probably carry on till they die.

There’s no reason the cars can’t be duel control for those who like driving. No parking fines, no popping out of work to change a disc, just get in the car at the door of your office, switch to manual mode and drive off. 

There are big plans for the site! Haven't you seen? It's going to save Douglas!

Seriously though there's not a chance of it getting through planning. "It's too big", "It doesn't fit in with the surrounding area", "It's ugly", "It'll attract too many cars", "Other hotels will have to close" etc

Cars are handy, I have one, but people need to get out of the habit of using them all the time and take the bus more often in my opinion. Getting the bus means you can have a couple of pints :)

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

There are big plans for the site! Haven't you seen? It's going to save Douglas!

Seriously though there's not a chance of it getting through planning. "It's too big", "It doesn't fit in with the surrounding area", "It's ugly", "It'll attract too many cars", "Other hotels will have to close" etc

Cars are handy, I have one, but people need to get out of the habit of using them all the time and take the bus more often in my opinion. Getting the bus means you can have a couple of pints :)

We, or should I say my wife had recently discovered just how cheap and well planned and regulated our buses are

Dont know why we have not been using them for years

Well impressed

3 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

..........but what about a proper bus station?...................

Well if you take a look at Liverpool One bus station it is easy to see that when buses are well planned , that is all that is needed

Same here too.

You can now plan your route on your mobile and it tells you the bus number the whole list of stops and times.

The old days of masses of people packed into a station wondering when or even if a bus would turn up are over

I think Mr I L had done a cracking job with the buses and the trams/trains 

......if you have a smart phone, I don't.................check out St Helier bus station to see how it's done............I don't think Mr L has done a good job at all.........as an aside Dilli, are you ok? you seem a bit grumpy the last few days...........getting concerned about you, genuinely............

2 hours ago, Declan said:

What makes you think anything will be built on the bus station before then? 

I was thinking after my post that the downside of my vision is people being addicted to cars. Especially since the infrastructure has been built to fuel that addiction. But it’s not like all the private cars will disappear overnight, some will probably carry on till they die.

There’s no reason the cars can’t be duel control for those who like driving. No parking fines, no popping out of work to change a disc, just get in the car at the door of your office, switch to manual mode and drive off. 

It’s a great vision. Problem I see is the peaks and troughs of demand. Everyone will need a car about 8:30, then again at 5, then again at midnight. There’ll either be enough cars to go around - but who’s going to invest in them for most to be sitting idle for 23 hours a day - or there’ll be hardly any availability at peak times. 

33 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It’s a great vision. Problem I see is the peaks and troughs of demand. Everyone will need a car about 8:30, then again at 5, then again at midnight. There’ll either be enough cars to go around - but who’s going to invest in them for most to be sitting idle for 23 hours a day - or there’ll be hardly any availability at peak times. 

A bit like taxis then!

52 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

......if you have a smart phone, I don't.................check out St Helier bus station to see how it's done............I don't think Mr L has done a good job at all.........as an aside Dilli, are you ok? you seem a bit grumpy the last few days...........getting concerned about you, genuinely............

Thanks, but I'm fine.

I just get pissed off with condescending arseholes, and they are multiplying, as if some posters might even have more than one log in. 

• Like 2