Plans for lord street

Blaine

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I seem to be talking to two absolute buffoons. I'm still waiting to hear HOW exactly Neil Down thinks park and ride can work on the Isle of Man. So far he has offered that last time it was tried it was in the wrong place, which everyone knows; and that there is a big car park at the Old Horses place, which is also something that everyone knows. As Ive stated, I'm a fan of park and ride schemes but cannot see a sensible way of it working here. So come on Neil Down, flesh it out a bit, offer us your wisdom, provide a sensible workable idea, I'll happily change my view if it is any good. Or just resort to low quality insults like usual.

There’s no reason why there shouldn’t be car parks at Cooil Road, by the big roundabout or up by the business park, and another Douglas side of Union Mills, and a final one around BlackBerry Lane. Then minibuses, every 15 minutes ( apart from peak periods when every 10 and after 6 pm when every 20 ) between 07.30 and 20.00. The minibuses could do figure 8 routes. And call in at Tesco, Victoria Road Shoprite, Bus station, Prom, as well as Athol, victoria Street, etc.

They don’t need to be huge. The distances are small. It’s got to be convenient to attract.

No charge.

Fund by taxing existing car park space use. Increase long term, ie all day parking, in the centre, but make 2 hours or less free for shoppers. Also install barriers at Nobles car parks, operated by tokens given out at clinics or wards to legitimate attendees and visitors. Penalties for all day parkers.

exemptions for disabled, tourists, agreed essential users.

Just a starting point, for discussion.

On the face of it it sounds great John, but then reality kicks in. 

We'll start with this one: No charge. Yeah right. Bus Vannin would go for that!

Then land. The land up Cooil Road could work seeing as it's all zoned for commercial use, I suppose a car park could be classe as that, Blackberry lane I'm assuming the fields above the football pitch? Problem there is that Onchan is already a nightmare to get through in the morning, and Union Mills area, where? Snugborough? Hmm. 

Next up cost! Tarmac is remarkably expensive, our government outright refuses to do anything for the benefit of the people without some kind of value for money/user pays thing going on these days, they're certainly not going to build three car parks for people to use for free.

Then you suggest increasing long stay parking in town, which sort of defeats the object.

As for people who already apparently use the hospital as one, who are these people and where are they coming from? Peel and up the Strang road? I don't get thatat all.

And then there is peoples inherent laziness, miss your minibus and wait 15 minutes for the next one when you could drive into town in 3? Can't see people going for that.

I'm pleased that people think it could and should work, but it just won't. People just won't do it. I use the buses a fair bit, theyre great down South, every 20 minutes, mostly on time and normally clean, but some people just won't. Look at the nonsense about Castletown square where people kick ff at the suggestion to close it to traffic because OH NO they'd have to walk and extra 20 metres. People are hooked to their cars and savagely fucking lazy, and thats the main reason it won't work.

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

There’s no reason why there shouldn’t be car parks at Cooil Road, by the big roundabout or up by the business park, and another Douglas side of Union Mills, and a final one around BlackBerry Lane. Then minibuses, every 15 minutes ( apart from peak periods when every 10 and after 6 pm when every 20 ) between 07.30 and 20.00. The minibuses could do figure 8 routes. And call in at Tesco, Victoria Road Shoprite, Bus station, Prom, as well as Athol, victoria Street, etc.

They don’t need to be huge. The distances are small. It’s got to be convenient to attract.

No charge.

Fund by taxing existing car park space use. Increase long term, ie all day parking, in the centre, but make 2 hours or less free for shoppers. Also install barriers at Nobles car parks, operated by tokens given out at clinics or wards to legitimate attendees and visitors. Penalties for all day parkers.

Would it not be simpler to just limit the car parking at Nobles to 2 or  4 hrs, it'd be cheaper to operate as  it would only need one 'warden' as opposed to a department to organise the issuing of tokens.

There could be all sorts of hassles getting these tokens for say families visiting loved ones who have been rushed into A&E  ?

35 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No charge.

one way to finish off douglas i suppose.......

:lol: 

16 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

You're a fucking idiot. What is the point of me driving from Castletown to Richmond Hill to get a bus into town when I can just get the bus in Castletown? Park and Ride in the Isle of Man consists of leaving your car on the drive and getting the bus. 

you sound more like Jack Carter with every frothy rant...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I seem to be talking to two absolute buffoons. I'm still waiting to hear HOW exactly Neil Down thinks park and ride can work on the Isle of Man. So far he has offered that last time it was tried it was in the wrong place, which everyone knows; and that there is a big car park at the Old Horses place, which is also something that everyone knows. As Ive stated, I'm a fan of park and ride schemes but cannot see a sensible way of it working here. So come on Neil Down, flesh it out a bit, offer us your wisdom, provide a sensible workable idea, I'll happily change my view if it is any good. Or just resort to low quality insults like usual.

Come on Neil Down!

Edited by TheTeapot

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

No charge.

What about how they used to do traffic management in Athens ( maybe they still do )

Cars with odd number last digit and cars with even number digits can only be used on alternate days of the week.?

48 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

What about how they used to do traffic management in Athens ( maybe they still do )

Cars with odd number last digit and cars with even number digits can only be used on alternate days of the week.?

Only going to work every other day would suit me just fine!

If we're just throwing ideas out there... Why not, as has been suggested before, put the emissions tax directly on the fuel raising the price of fuel, follow that with a Singapore style Certificate of Entitlement system, whilst simultaneously increasing the frequency of buses buying more smaller more economical buses. Yes I know more DoI expenditure but you have to invest if you want to improve things. Now speaking about DoI expenditure how about we then go a bit more left field... convert some of the Steam Trains that are no longer running and are kept in the shed behind the works into something a touch more environmentally friendly (honestly can't be any worse than that diesel debacle).  

The only way to get people to get people to actually give up their car is to make to it too expensive for them to run or too inconvenient. Which leads me on to my final ideas...speed bumps absolutely everywhere, a 20 mph speed limit which applies to all vehicles except for buses, pushbikes and pimped up mobility scooters.

12 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

If we're just throwing ideas out there... Why not, as has been suggested before, put the emissions tax directly on the fuel raising the price of fuel, follow that with a Singapore style Certificate of Entitlement system, whilst simultaneously increasing the frequency of buses buying more smaller more economical buses. Yes I know more DoI expenditure but you have to invest if you want to improve things. Now speaking about DoI expenditure how about we then go a bit more left field... convert some of the Steam Trains that are no longer running and are kept in the shed behind the works into something a touch more environmentally friendly (honestly can't be any worse than that diesel debacle).  

The only way to get people to get people to actually give up their car is to make to it too expensive for them to run or too inconvenient. Which leads me on to my final ideas...speed bumps absolutely everywhere, a 20 mph speed limit which applies to all vehicles except for buses, pushbikes and pimped up mobility scooters.

I'm sure it has been said recently that we cant just up the tax on fuel by law.

I don't however see what the problem is apart from the fact that we don't have enough carparks.

Making cars too expensive to run is not the answer, that is just people like Jessabelle Jessop being naïve ( or stupid ) thinking we should all go back 100 years and ride bicycles.

Our air is good here and the problem is not ours to worry about

• Like 1

We have plenty of car parks dilli and most of the pay ones have plenty of room most of the time. We have no traffic problems as such either. "Rush hour" consists of two brief periods around 8.30 and 5.30 and for those who insist on travelling in and out of Douglas at those times, the slight delay is hardly inconvenient.

• Like 1