Plans for lord street

Blaine

37 minutes ago, woody2 said:

i already have that- its called a car.......

And if you prefer that option no ones stopping you. I prefer to spend my travel time doing other things than concentrating on the road.

The point is driverless taxis will offer a cheap, practical alternative to car ownership (no parking problems, no maintenance etc)  and public transport (not relying on a timetable, not having to mix with the great unwashed). Some people enjoy driving or have needs that would make driverless taxis impractical no-ones forcing them to change, but many people will choose to switch.

14 minutes ago, Declan said:

The point is driverless taxis will offer a cheap, practical alternative to car ownership (no parking problems, no maintenance etc)  and public transport (not relying on a timetable, not having to mix with the great unwashed). Some people enjoy driving or have needs that would make driverless taxis impractical no-ones forcing them to change, but many people will choose to switch.

great until miss pulrose with 5 kids gets in and leaves a shitty nappy behind......

just needs a driver to clear up the mess and its a great idea......

2 hours ago, Declan said:

And if you prefer that option no ones stopping you. I prefer to spend my travel time doing other things than concentrating on the road.

Great untill they get to the "quarter bridge roundabout" and the mexican stand off, how can they program a driverless car to cope with that ?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Max Power said:

Unfortunately there are some good people working there who I have known and worked with for years. They are treated like crap, demoralised, demoted and UK 'experts' brought in over their heads who are clearly out of their depth. They have created a monster which they can't control, it's too big for our small market and the staff are stressed out trying to squeeze the blood from a stone. It can only be some kind of tax fiddle, there is absolutely no business case for the thing!

Yes I get that but if they went pop then market forces would dictate someone else would pop up in their place, probably a number of smaller garages like we had before. If there is no business case for it and it's not working then it can't continue indefinitely.

4 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Yes I get that but if they went pop then market forces would dictate someone else would pop up in their place, probably a number of smaller garages like we had before. If there is no business case for it and it's not working then it can't continue indefinitely.

You would think that yes, but market forces also ask who in their right mind would invest the kind of money required in the new motor retail business on such a small island these days? The costs of operating the premium franchises which they hold are exclusive to most businesses here. Perhaps the handful left, Mylchreests, Athol, Ocean and Kingswood could trade one of their less profitable franchises for one of the better ones held by Jacksons? The Motor Mall franchises are't worth having. They have unfortunately upset a very finely balanced market. Should they pull out, the island will be all the poorer, fewer factory trained staff (they are resisting manufacturer calls for adequate training, they believe a mechanic should be able to repair anything or salesman sell anything for example!) 

Edited by Max Power

21 hours ago, Max Power said:

You would think that yes, but market forces also ask who in their right mind would invest the kind of money required in the new motor retail business on such a small island these days? The costs of operating the premium franchises which they hold are exclusive to most businesses here. Perhaps the handful left, Mylchreests, Athol, Ocean and Kingswood could trade one of their less profitable franchises for one of the better ones held by Jacksons? The Motor Mall franchises are't worth having. They have unfortunately upset a very finely balanced market. Should they pull out, the island will be all the poorer, fewer factory trained staff (they are resisting manufacturer calls for adequate training, they believe a mechanic should be able to repair anything or salesman sell anything for example!) 

-

Edited by LightBulb