Plans for lord street

Blaine

5 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I don't think there is/was the footfall to support this project and I would imagine the the funding of it in the current economic climate would be highly stressed.

I don't know though  - my guess would be that a lot more people are holding onto their cash instead of investing in the markets at present - and projects such as this are a good investment as they will likely only finish/open well post covid-crisis anyway.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, asitis said:

I hope it does go ahead as planned but the cynic in me can just see apartments !

If they wanted to build apartments they would have applied to do so.  Given there is very little demand for aparments (which is why no one is building them) I don't see how you reach that conclusion.  Plus don't they have a pre letting agrement already signed by Travelodge?

14 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

If they wanted to build apartments they would have applied to do so.  Given there is very little demand for aparments (which is why no one is building them) I don't see how you reach that conclusion.  Plus don't they have a pre letting agrement already signed by Travelodge?

Fully agree. But having stayed in Lancaster Travelodge in mid February I can’t see there’d be any demand for staying at a Travelodge either.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I don't think there is/was the footfall to support this project and I would imagine the the funding of it in the current economic climate would be highly stressed.

If that were the case then why announce yesterday that work was to commence?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Fully agree. But having stayed in Lancaster Travelodge in mid February I can’t see there’d be any demand for staying at a Travelodge either.

You can't judge all Travelodges on one bad experience. I have stayed in a couple when away on business/appointments and found them to be clean and basic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It's a brand new hotel.  No reason why it shouldn't be a decent enough place for a short stay.  

I'm not a Travelodge frequenter myself but I can't see too many negatives.

The cinema may be a different proposition though.  Largely because the first shots appear to have been fired by Universal and it'll be interesting to see how they take the slapping down they received.

6 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

My gut reaction is that retail units will struggle as they are not where the main footfall is, ie Strand St.. Although the car park might, by default, help.