Plans for lord street

Blaine

Just now, Donald Trumps said:

The facades of the older properties need retaining & the space behind them developed into new forms of accommodation for ordinary residential & - perhaps - self catering visitor apartments

They aren’t stable enough. Shallow foundations and built on sand. Remove the outlets and they crack and fall. Look at the Mannin. That was the idea there.

I agree that whilst there would certainly be some call for a 5* hotel and indeed a stand alone 5*  restaurant on the Island there would not be the year round level of business to support this.

More pertinently, whilst there are some establishments calling themselves 4* (and charging to suit) - we have yet to experience anything that justifies the accolade in either building and decor standards or quality of food / service. 

It's a great shame and, when it comes to friends visiting, something of an embarrassment tbh.

• Thanks 1

Some of them describe themselves as offering 4 star standard accommodation but few if any will be offering four star facilities such as round the clock room service, in house hairdressers, business centres, etc

Mind you, after the Covid crisis a lot of hotels - as well as AirBnB - will be taking a good hard look at their future potentials & what a possible highly contracted market place will likely be looking for

26 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

I agree that whilst there would certainly be some call for a 5* hotel and indeed a stand alone 5*  restaurant on the Island there would not be the year round level of business to support this.

More pertinently, whilst there are some establishments calling themselves 4* (and charging to suit) - we have yet to experience anything that justifies the accolade in either building and decor standards or quality of food / service. 

It's a great shame and, when it comes to friends visiting, something of an embarrassment tbh.

Hospitality here like lots of local businesses on the island seem to have a take it or leave it - boat in the morning type attitude which combined with the famous manx crab attitude to anyone who tries to do something properly keeps the island a 3 star experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Hospitality here like lots of local businesses on the island seem to have a take it or leave it - boat in the morning type attitude which combined with the famous manx crab attitude to anyone who tries to do something properly keeps the island a 3 star experience.

I think that there is a market for at least one genuine 4* hotel and perhaps 2 or 3 similar quality restaurants. One can hope.........

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

I think that there is a market for at least one genuine 4* hotel and perhaps 2 or 3 similar quality restaurants. One can hope.........

Fine Dining restaurant , charging top prices but paying the staff the minimum amount it can get away with. 

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Fine Dining restaurant , charging top prices but paying the staff the minimum amount it can get away with. 

Oh no we cant have anyone making a good living on the island, got to drag them back into the crab pot...………….

In reality, good businesses pay good money to good staff. Good staff make a business but are hard to find.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Michelin is the only star rating taken seriously in the UK and Europe. 3 is the maximum.

AFAIK the Forbes 5 star system doesn't exist in Britain. Nobody takes it seriously anyhow.

Edited by pongo

7 minutes ago, pongo said:

Michelin is the only star rating taken seriously in the UK and Europe. 3 is the maximum.

AFAIK the Forbes 5 star system doesn't exist in Britain. Nobody takes it seriously anyhow.

Having stayed in (literally) thousands of 4 and 5 star hotels on every continent thought the world except antartica I have never, ever, heard anyone rate anything by the Michelin system except Michelin star holders, journalists on freebies, and pretentious food critics.

Just my experience and opinion however.

Just now, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Having stayed in (literally) thousands of 4 and 5 star hotels on every continent thought the world except antartica I have never, ever, heard anyone rate anything by the Michelin system except Michelin star holders, journalists on freebies, and pretentious food critics.

Just my experience and opinion however.

Sounds like you aren't actually into food then. It's the one which chefs take seriously - and many on their way up the system will take a pay cut or a lesser job title to move up to a 3 star kitchen. 

13 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Whatever you say.

The fact remains that you have never eaten at a 5 star restaurant in Britain. Even though you are so important.

Because there aren't any and none that were serious would claim to be.

(5 stars on Trip Advisor maybe)

Edited by pongo