Plans for lord street

Blaine

1 hour ago, pongo said:

The fact remains that you have never eaten at a 5 star restaurant in Britain. Even though you are so important.

Because there aren't any and none that were serious would claim to be.

(5 stars on Trip Advisor maybe)

I imagine Manximus was talking about a restaurant in a five star hotel rather than a 5 star restaurant?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo said:

Presumably there would now be a serious shortage of parking in Douglas if many people were not working from home? Given the significant loss of parking spaces.

Many governments and local authorities are currently abusing emergency powers to hand sites to developers without a huge amount of public scrutiny being possible. Isn’t that what special powers are for? To make a few quid for the chosen ones outside of the public spotlight? 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Manx Expat said:

Many governments and local authorities are currently abusing emergency powers to hand sites to developers without a huge amount of public scrutiny being possible. Isn’t that what special powers are for? To make a few quid for the chosen ones outside of the public spotlight? 

Its always been a pretty dim spotlight on the IOM.

8 hours ago, Manx Expat said:

The whole thing, invitations of interest, tender, award, planning, litigation by the losing tenderer, has been played in the public realm for 3 years. Everyone knew it was happening, everyone knew it would start early 2020; apart from you and @asitis ). Sorry to bust the conspiracy bubble.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I know this is a subjective issue but I'm not entirely convinced or sure that the architectural design is right for the area. It's only my opinion but I can't help thinking that it belongs in a city like Liverpool or Manchester. The artist's impression looks as if it will tower over all around it and is at least two, possibly three levels higher than the nearest building. As the site is located by the harbour there seems to be no acknowledgement in the design that respects that. As I say, just my opinion.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I know this is a subjective issue but I'm not entirely convinced or sure that the architectural design is right for the area. It's only my opinion but I can't help thinking that it belongs in a city like Liverpool or Manchester. The artist's impression looks as if it will tower over all around it and is at least two, possibly three levels higher than the nearest building. As the site is located by the harbour there seems to be no acknowledgement in the design that respects that. As I say, just my opinion.

They probably said the same about the RBSI building at the end of Victoria Street

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pongo said:

The fact remains that you have never eaten at a 5 star restaurant in Britain. Even though you are so important.

Because there aren't any and none that were serious would claim to be.

(5 stars on Trip Advisor maybe)

I'm not looking for an argument with you Pongo, neither am I going to comment on whether you are 'into food' because I do not have a clue about you - not a clue. 

If you wish to judge the food that you eat, the standard of service that you experience, or the value for money that it entails on the rankings of an external (third party) authority, Michelin, food critic or whatever then that is of course entirely up to you.

I will judge my own food, the service received and the value for money on whatever scale I see fit to use. I don't seek or need your approval to do so and I've never been on trip adviser (ever).

Bon appetit.

35 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

If you wish to judge the food that you eat, the standard of service that you experience, or the value for money that it entails on the rankings of an external (third party) authority, Michelin, food critic or whatever then that is of course entirely up to you.

It was you who first raised the idea of 5 star restaurants. And indeed 5 star hotels.

For me the very idea of luxury is naff. I will always avoid anything which self-identifies as 5 star or luxury. It's invariably for wealthy plebs!

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

I think that there is a market for at least one genuine 4* hotel and perhaps 2 or 3 similar quality restaurants. One can hope.........

The Comis is rated 4* by the AA in their 2020 guide, but they're being pushed out of the ratings game by Google and indeed TripAdvisor

8 minutes ago, pongo said:

It was you who first raised the idea of 5 star restaurants. And indeed 5 star hotels.

For me the very idea of luxury is naff. I will always avoid anything which self-identifies as 5 star or luxury. It's invariably for wealthy plebs!

Indeed. There are now 6* hotels in parts of the world frequented by Arab sheiks

Lord knows what additional services they provide, & at what human cost