Plans for lord street

Blaine

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Kane aren’t involved in the Court case. It’s by the developers who thought they’d got the agreement to develop, but didn’t against the relevant government department. For out of pockets and loss of profits as far as I can tell from what little info is about. Covid might mean a sharp downward figure on losses. So it won’t impact on timetable.

Im presuming the binding contract with Kane provided they take occupation by a certain date, if they didn’t there’d be a break clause. They’ve got planning. They’ve taken occupation. How they stage their building programme is up to them. It’s possible, probable even, that Covid has affected start time. Hence trying for contract parking for a few months.

Does it matter if the hotel is operated as a Travelodge or Hampton by Hilton franchise? We always knew it’d be a franchise operation on lease from the developer.

Notwithstanding the above I can see this being another Regent Street non-development.

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Notwithstanding the above I can see this being another Regent Street non-development.

There’s a subtle difference. Regent Street ( what’s left of the Villiers redevelopment, wasn’t previously owned by Government. I’d hope that whoever in government drafted the bus station development agreement has included clauses taking the land back if it’s not developed in a timely fashion.

And of course the new development has started on Duke/Fort Street. And  I think Dandara now own the rest of the Duke Street Regent St corner block.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Chris Jericho said:

Well I seen today cars parking on the development site. No pay machines either. No cars issued with tickets. What’s going on? 

Contract parking. Check further back in the thread for the Cowley Groves link.

It's well dodgy.

10 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What's dodgy about it?

I don't get why it's dodgy, either. They bought a site that is already laid out for parking, why not allow people to park on it and make some money? Plenty of developers who own land in town let their empty plots for parking. Does anyone know what the terms of the contract parking are...? They could be for a fixed limited time, or on a monthly basis. 

The developer only became the legal owner of the site in May and the time and cost involved in getting a project like this to site is fairly significant. Even with planning permission, it is unlikely you would progress to building control until you actually own it and know that it's financially feasible and for a job like this, in the location it is, there would be a lot of engineering design work to undertake before you'd even consider putting a machine on site. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Feelslike said:

I don't get why it's dodgy, either. They bought a site that is already laid out for parking, why not allow people to park on it and make some money? Plenty of developers who own land in town let their empty plots for parking. Does anyone know what the terms of the contract parking are...? They could be for a fixed limited time, or on a monthly basis. 

The developer only became the legal owner of the site in May and the time and cost involved in getting a project like this to site is fairly significant. Even with planning permission, it is unlikely you would progress to building control until you actually own it and know that it's financially feasible and for a job like this, in the location it is, there would be a lot of engineering design work to undertake before you'd even consider putting a machine on site. 

Really?

Well who knew eh?   I mean, it's only an enormous development on a site that has laid empty for 20 years or whatever.

It must be dodgy if the whole lot isnt up and finished by December.

16 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Contract parking. Check further back in the thread for the Cowley Groves link.

It's well dodgy.

No Teapot, it’s a usual Manx Muddle or Manxification Scheme.  Though generally you have the right idea. 

The site will probably be sold on again in a few years. I can’t see any real development schemes coming into fruition for a long time. It will be interesting to see how the Duke Street Griddles Flats development pans out.

Edited by 2112
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, 2112 said:

No Teapot, it’s a usual Manx Muddle or Manxification Scheme.  Though generally you have the right idea. 

The site will probably be sold on again in a few years. I can’t see any real development schemes coming into fruition for a long time. It will be interesting to see how the Duke Street Griddles Flats development pans out.

They're knocking it down as we speak, so hopefully...