Plans for lord street

Blaine

Would like to know how much the site was sold for? What’s in it for the taxpayers? If the site sale was completed in May 2020, surely the developer would have had the funding still in place? Or are things now that bad it would be disastrous to invest in the IOM? 

So they've got two years to get the toilets and information centre built and a further year to get the rest of it completed, contractually? 

Just as well they're not the DOI then, best roll your sleeves up chaps.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

So they've got two years to get the toilets and information centre built and a further year to get the rest of it completed, contractually? 

Just as well they're not the DOI then, best roll your sleeves up chaps.

All Government land sold off for an approved development should contractually include a build it timescale and a compulsory purchase order thereafter. The amount of land being sat on by developers is huge, particularly sites where they are waiting for planning to cave in to their demands. No doubt a government development strategy, in terms of facility and housing etc, has differing aims to a developers strategy where profit is the sole driver !

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Max Power said:

With Monorail Station I hope?

Naturally. Designed by Sir Norman Foster and featuring murals of Manx life, including feral youths vomiting chip, cheese and gravy; a stylised presentation of the public sector pension deficit represented by Howard Quayle’s belly and a tribute to the Covid 19 border controls, illustrated by an Archibald Knox-esque Celtic ring of barb wire. 

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Naturally. Designed by Sir Norman Foster and featuring murals of Manx life, including feral youths vomiting chip, cheese and gravy; a stylised presentation of the public sector pension deficit represented by Howard Quayle’s belly and a tribute to the Covid 19 border controls, illustrated by an Archibald Knox-esque Celtic ring of barb wire. 

I hope Sir Norman has the time, in between designing the new TT scoreboards and Grandstand area?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 2112 said:

Would like to know how much the site was sold for? What’s in it for the taxpayers? If the site sale was completed in May 2020, surely the developer would have had the funding still in place? Or are things now that bad it would be disastrous to invest in the IOM? 

Take a trip up the deeds registry. You can examine the deed of conveyance which will state the consideration paid, it's no secret. As for what's in it for the taxpayers that would be the amenity of the proposed development.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Take a trip up the deeds registry. You can examine the deed of conveyance which will state the consideration paid, it's no secret. As for what's in it for the taxpayers that would be the amenity of the proposed development.

I think the only amenity is going to be a car park for office workers. I can’t see it ever getting off the ground, if it does it will be 10-20 years away. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I'd still prefer that to the Prow down on the Quay.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I hope Sir Norman has the time, in between designing the new TT scoreboards and Grandstand area?

That’s the new ‘Gef the Mongoose’ TT scoreboards and the ‘Howie and Ashy Grandstand fun zone’ actually.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I think the only amenity is going to be a car park for office workers. I can’t see it ever getting off the ground, if it does it will be 10-20 years away. 

Now there’s an optimist...try 40 years.

• Haha 1

The planning ref. is 18/00846/B on the gov. website. The side elevations show that the cinema section is about 2 storeys higher than the rest.

I doubt that a 7-screen cinema in a town the size of Douglas is viable. If that proves to be the case, what purpose could an 8-storey high building be used for?

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The planning ref. is 18/00846/B on the gov. website. The side elevations show that the cinema section is about 2 storeys higher than the rest.

I doubt that a 7-screen cinema in a town the size of Douglas is viable. If that proves to be the case, what purpose could an 8-storey high building be used for?

I'm interested to know if they have experience of other such size developments, that's the main reason for asking.

There's a lot about this that simply doesn't add up. As you say, the height is one issue. And are those architects drawings/plans lodged with Planning the final version? Has Kane Limited issued a bond to ensure the development goes ahead? Are they a registered developer with DoI and other gov departments?  

And the fact that the developer has said it would be crazy not to allow a car a park either means they didn't read the small print or if they did they thought they'd get away with it.

The lack of clarity on this development is worrying.

The car parking allocation could be fun. The gov. will insist some are allocated to the apartments, some will be allocated to the hotel, and the developer will do his best to ensure that the rest are let out for contract parking. Then where are all those customers for the 7-screen cinema going to park? And the people who want to go shopping or have lunch on the quayside can just get the bus.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:44 PM, Andy Onchan said:

I'm interested to know if they have experience of other such size developments, that's the main reason for asking.

There's a lot about this that simply doesn't add up. As you say, the height is one issue. And are those architects drawings/plans lodged with Planning the final version? Has Kane Limited issued a bond to ensure the development goes ahead? Are they a registered developer with DoI and other gov departments?  

And the fact that the developer has said it would be crazy not to allow a car a park either means they didn't read the small print or if they did they thought they'd get away with it.

The lack of clarity on this development is worrying.

I agree with you. 
However, there are many who will view the developers in the most positive light, without caring to ask questions, even the most cursory ones. Also if you look at the developers history, past developments and involvement in the islands retail sector, there will be many that will regard these developers in such regard, irrespective of what you or I may think. 
There are some MF posters who sadly are a bit blinkered, have IOMG rose tinted glasses, perhaps like Gef the Mongoose, they are given a £10k Skelly Grant to promote only positive spin on things?