Plans for lord street

Blaine

8 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

How much did they pay for the land? Doesn't mention a cost in the handover article. I might be wrong, but I kind of thought there was some obligation to hand it back if they changed their plans or didn't get on with it promptly. Quite clever really, collecting cash for saying you want to build something on a public pay&display town centre car park, closing the car park, trying to turn it into a contract car park before licensing it back to the people who owned it in the first place and taking a 20% cut for doing absolutely nothing. 

Very profitable these car parks and why bother developing a derelict and dirty stinking shithole, when this money from car parking produces better money than the bank. Still if the owners have any alternative plans for land in the possession or their desire to develop any land which may be taxpayers owned, I would hope that IOMG and planning would give strict planning conditions for the use of the land, with targeted timetable for construction, with failure to commence resulting in forfeiture of the permission. IOMG needs to be firm and not allow people to take advantage. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Revamp for 'unsightly' Lord Street car park in Douglas

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-12493388

Where are all these assets that £23k were allotted for? Was the £23k ever even spent?

4 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Revamp for 'unsightly' Lord Street car park in Douglas

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-12493388

I think most people would want developers to keep to their word not to use a myriad and stall from starting work. If they are potless or can’t get funding, partners or anyone to take up a unit, then hand back the site to Government. If they have made a loss - tough shit, many others probably have, besides life’s a gamble, win you reap the benefits and lose, you know the risks. Unfortunately on the island, people have too much influence and entitlement thinking. Grants, no question asked loans, preferential treatment and automatic hotline to COMIN. The likes of Chris Thomas should be hounding IOMG to get this site into use, by fair means or foul. Either build a bus station with social housing on top or redevelop the site into social housing only.

• Like 1

I think we'll have a further bomb site in Lord Street once the flats are vacated and demolished! Douglas is a bloody disgrace. i was really hopeful that the bus station site would have started a rejuvenation! Another thing which could have still been happily serving us today! 

We can add this to the long list of wastelands within the town, some half built, some half pulled down!

Summerland was only demolished in case a private operator could have made a go of it and competed with the NSC and the Villa. We are led by people with tiny little minds, and have been for years!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I think we'll have a further bomb site in Lord Street once the flats are vacated and demolished! Douglas is a bloody disgrace. i was really hopeful that the bus station site would have started a rejuvenation! Another thing which could have still been happily serving us today! 

We can add this to the long list of wastelands within the town, some half built, some half pulled down!

Summerland was only demolished in case a private operator could have made a go of it and competed with the NSC and the Villa. We are led by people with tiny little minds, and have been for years!

Tiny minds with nothing in there. I don’t actually think many people care less, they are paid, haven’t got to worry. They retire and collect a pension. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Isn't that how H&B operate? see Liverpool Arms for proof

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Isn't that how H&B operate? see Liverpool Arms for proof

And the rest; Britannia, Central and Stanley in Ramsey alone.

Incidentally, does anyone have any update on the recent Ramsey Commissioners' meeting with H&B over the Commissioners' concerns over the number and future of vacant H&B properties in the town?

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And the rest; Britannia, Central and Stanley in Ramsey alone.

Incidentally, does anyone have any update on the recent Ramsey Commissioners' meeting with H&B over the Commissioners' concerns over the number and future of vacant H&B properties in the town?

Don't hold your breath awaiting anything positive

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Where are all these assets that £23k were allotted for? Was the £23k ever even spent?

There was a trellis fence that mostly existed to stop people exiting to car park wherever they liked on Lord Street. Now dilapidated. And some wooden planters, without plants.

14 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

How much did they pay for the land? Doesn't mention a cost in the handover article. I might be wrong, but I kind of thought there was some obligation to hand it back if they changed their plans or didn't get on with it promptly. Quite clever really, collecting cash for saying you want to build something on a public pay&display town centre car park, closing the car park, trying to turn it into a contract car park before licensing it back to the people who owned it in the first place and taking a 20% cut for doing absolutely nothing. 

I looked through the land transactions dataset and found a record for "Part of Lord Street Bus Station, Lord Street, Douglas" sold for £ 1,060,030.00 and originally acquired on 04/05/2020 and sold on 08/04/2021.  Presumably this is transfer between companies in the same group, but I couldn't see anything earlier as the purchase from the government.

2 hours ago, Declan said:

There was a trellis fence that mostly existed to stop people exiting to car park wherever they liked on Lord Street. Now dilapidated. And some wooden planters, without plants.

Possibly the most expensive trellis fencing and planters in recorded history then...? Most likely a DOI installation.

Edited by Non-Believer
typo