Supertour 2018

The Duck of Atholl

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The safety record of wealthy speedfreakery twats in supercars is actually pretty good.

Like the twonk who filmed his own highly questionable driving around the course on Mad Sunday(?) a couple of years ago - and then posted it up on Youtube for good measure...?:lol:

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

In fairness, I did it for as many visiting car clubs as I could, including vintage Jags and other classics. The whole point is that you can't do what you like, and can expect the cops to come down on you like a ton of bricks if you insist on hooning around. 

The safety record of wealthy speedfreakery twats in supercars is actually pretty good. Motorbikes - well that's a different story...

Fair enough, you'll be far more knowledgeable than I. Good luck with the venture.

I have got no problem if somebody wants to make a few quid and organises an event on open roads and is not charged. I do though have an issue if IoM Govt does charge a fee for road closed events where the organisers are trying to make a buck. This applies to motor or other events. The IoM Govt website gives the indication there is no fee except to cover the advertising costs but I expect if police, fire servives have to be involved they will levy a fee. I think though Govt should charge a fee for providing the roads as if you want to put an event on at the Gaiety/the Villa Marina or use any of the Islands sporting facilities I have to pay. Why should having the use of the roads on a closed based be different.

This is not a dig at the event. It just seems logical that the Govt should charge just as they or any organisation would charge to provide a venue.  

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Like the twonk who filmed his own highly questionable driving around the course on Mad Sunday(?) a couple of years ago - and then posted it up on Youtube for good measure...?:lol:

No shortage of footage on bikes and cars. Fortunately very few end in tears. Those that do provide excellent evidence for prosecution or the coroner.

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

I have got no problem if somebody wants to make a few quid and organises an event on open roads and is not charged. I do though have an issue if IoM Govt does charge a fee for road closed events where the organisers are trying to make a buck. This applies to motor or other events. The IoM Govt website gives the indication there is no fee except to cover the advertising costs but I expect if police, fire servives have to be involved they will levy a fee. I think though Govt should charge a fee for providing the roads as if you want to put an event on at the Gaiety/the Villa Marina or use any of the Islands sporting facilities I have to pay. Why should having the use of the roads on a closed based be different.

This is not a dig at the event. It just seems logical that the Govt should charge just as they or any organisation would charge to provide a venue.  

The police, fire service, etc are being paid anyway even if they don’t attend an accident.

18 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

No shortage of footage on bikes and cars. Fortunately very few end in tears. Those that do provide excellent evidence for prosecution or the coroner.

John Needham is a very knowledgable man...I have a lot of respect for that man.

He needs to get out for the odd pint I feel though. Never bumped into him in real life.

Tough gig that job.

3 hours ago, KERED said:

Well - I thought he had recently been appointed to some consultative post at Nobles, but in this thread, he has said that he is no longer a public employee.   So, I wonder what happened to the hospital job?

I’d hazard a guess it’s none of your business...

52 minutes ago, kevster said:

The police, fire service, etc are being paid anyway even if they don’t attend an accident.

But we're regularly told how much a fatal, (for instance) costs; IIRC it was over £1M at the last count.

Does that take into account the fact that the services are being paid anyway? Genuine question?

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

In fairness, I did it for as many visiting car clubs as I could, including vintage Jags and other classics. The whole point is that you can't do what you like, and can expect the cops to come down on you like a ton of bricks if you insist on hooning around. 

The safety record of wealthy speedfreakery twats in supercars is actually pretty good. Motorbikes - well that's a different story...

Would that be all motorbikes Derek ? 

I would venture to suggest that the older motorcyclist with vintage or veteran machinery I've met, in the main , tend to be more risk averse perhaps?

7 hours ago, La Colombe said:

I've driven off the boat loads of times and nobody has ever told me not to drive like a tit.

Probably because they take one look and realize they're wasting their breath.

11 hours ago, Lost Login said:

Spot on.

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

But we're regularly told how much a fatal, (for instance) costs; IIRC it was over £1M at the last count.

Does that take into account the fact that the services are being paid anyway? Genuine question?

Well over £2m now. 

Archived