Supertour 2018

The Duck of Atholl

33 minutes ago, Kevmeister said:

He isn’t playing a game I fear. He genuinely seems to lack the intelligence or openness to deal with the situation properly. A few people have moaned. Rather than be honest with them and answering them honestly he chose to make himself look like a complete chump being evasive and talking garbage about commercial confidentiality etc. He clearly is not paying for anything other than a few quid for the road closure orders to go in the paper. So really he has validated all the criticism leveled here that the taxpayers of the IOM are undoubtedly helping him make money out of a private event that puts money exclusively into his pocket. Hopefully there will be no crashes or accidents as the Hooray Henry’s take to the roads in their £200k sports cars as that would look very ironic indeed for an event run by a man who has harped on about dangerous driving and road safety in the IOM for so long when he was a copper. 

Does it help that I'm the Hon President of the local chapter of the Institute of Advanced Motorists or will that just increase your blood pressure further?

I'm OK with it either way.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Does it help that I'm the Hon President of the local chapter of the Institute of Advanced Motorists 

Not really but enjoyed your trolling with your "spiv" persona.:lol:

55 minutes ago, Kevmeister said:

He isn’t playing a game I fear. He genuinely seems to lack the intelligence or openness to deal with the situation properly. A few people have moaned. Rather than be honest with them and answering them honestly he chose to make himself look like a complete chump being evasive and talking garbage about commercial confidentiality etc. He clearly is not paying for anything other than a few quid for the road closure orders to go in the paper. So really he has validated all the criticism leveled here that the taxpayers of the IOM are undoubtedly helping him make money out of a private event that puts money exclusively into his pocket. Hopefully there will be no crashes or accidents as the Hooray Henry’s take to the roads in their £200k sports cars as that would look very ironic indeed for an event run by a man who has harped on about dangerous driving and road safety in the IOM for so long when he was a copper.

Is it not a role of Government to provide systems and infrastructure that supports private enterprise that generates income for individuals, companies and ultimately Government itself in the form of tax revenue?

Your posts simply smack of envy that this event is clearly aimed at wealthy individuals who can afford expensive cars and to pay for the privilege of a drive and a closed road.

Personally I’m indifferent; road closures aren’t really that much of an inconvenience; easily navigated with a bit of planning.

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

Your posts simply smack of envy that this event is clearly aimed at wealthy individuals who can afford expensive cars and to pay for the privilege of a drive and a closed road.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No I was really just hoping that a civil question from an interested taxpayer might have been answered honestly by a former Policeman. Never mind, I know my place and you have rammed home that clearly I’m just a peasant who has no business asking how taxpayer funded assets that I’m paying for are given out to private businesses to make money from. 

1 minute ago, Kevmeister said:

No I was really just hoping that a civil question from an interested taxpayer might have been answered honestly by a former Policeman. Never mind, I know my place and you have rammed home that clearly I’m just a peasant who has no business asking how taxpayer funded assets that I’m paying for are given out to private businesses to make money from. 

Pop into town, pick any business you fancy, ask to see the boss and start to probe their finances and contracts.  

Do let us know how you get on, won't you...

At a time when the island needs to attract people, revenue, publicity and exposure anything like this should be commended not ridiculed. If people make a few quid on the back of it then so what, private enterprise should be rewarded not discouraged.

I just wish it was at a different time than TT as I have a few mates across who are petrolheads and who have classic cars but work during the week and the £4k is a bit steep. They'd probably come across for a weekend away if it was a mini Supertour weekend with a supercar showcase on a Saturday or something. Maybe something to think about if the first main event succeeds.

Good luck. Ignore the idiots, the rest of us do.

16 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

At a time when the island needs to attract people, revenue, publicity and exposure anything like this should be commended not ridiculed. If people make a few quid on the back of it then so what, private enterprise should be rewarded not discouraged.

I just wish it was at a different time than TT as I have a few mates across who are petrolheads and who have classic cars but work during the week and the £4k is a bit steep. They'd probably come across for a weekend away if it was a mini Supertour weekend with a supercar showcase on a Saturday or something. Maybe something to think about if the first main event succeeds.

Good luck. Ignore the idiots, the rest of us do.

Watch this space. The TT timing was for a reason which actually ended up not being necessary.

A 'Superclassic' is definitely on the cards at some point. Happy to take on some ideas as to when would work well for people. 

51 minutes ago, Kevmeister said:

You are not a peasant Kevmeister, you are a voter, and people here seem to forget that. The fact that they get upset when you remind them goes to show how much they'd love to suppress the democratic process to further their own ends, if they could get away with it.

51 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Pop into town, pick any business you fancy, ask to see the boss and start to probe their finances and contracts.  

Do let us know how you get on, won't you...

Yes but they're not running their business on public property.

2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Is it not a role of Government to provide systems and infrastructure that supports private enterprise that generates income for individuals, companies and ultimately Government itself in the form of tax revenue?

Personally I’m indifferent; road closures aren’t really that much of an inconvenience; easily navigated with a bit of planning.

This. x100.

If a small island can't be flexible enough to utilise what it has in order to generate revenue for it's population then what's the point in having a government that's strives to be taken seriously. May as well just be a small island parish with a few farmers and fisherman and everyone else fuck off back to whence they came.

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

There’s nothing to stop any supercar owner coming over here and driving on our roads if they want. Derek’s just charging them money for what they could do anyway. Good luck to him - they’ll undoubtedly be spending more cash in local pubs/restaurants etc so I really don’t see a downside. Most folk that own these cars drive like priests anyway as the excessive power is simply wasted on them. 

As for Derek’s evasiveness - the longer he strings out this thread the more people are talking about it. No such thing as bad publicity etc. 

why? won't they just attend the pre-arranged events.....

Archived