Supertour 2018

The Duck of Atholl

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

You've lost me. Are the roads being shut for a full five days on the bounce here.

My point, although stated in a later post that I don't really have one, was that where does the line get drawn, if every man/woman and his/her dog want to clpse roads for a private event. Where is the line where islanders say "enough, there are too many roads being closed which has now become a major pain in he ass".

Just now, yootalkin2me said:

My point, although stated in a later post that I don't really have one, was that where does the line get drawn, if every man/woman and his/her dog want to clpse roads for a private event. Where is the line where islanders say "enough, there are too many roads being closed which has now become a major pain in he ass".

Probably when islanders say 'enough, there are too many roads being closed which has now become a pain in the ass.'

9 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

I don't have a particular high opinion of Mr Flint and some of his postings on this thread don't do much to change my views as many of his responses, but not all, are purely trolling other posters. If he doesn't want to answer a question or respond either just don't or say so rather than troll as it makes what to be an interesting thread unreadable.

The question you raise is an interesting one and I would have  thought that the IoM Govt website would have been a bit more informative about their requirements before they would consider a private road closure. I presume they must have some basic parameters otherwise presumably anybody could apply for a road to be closed just so they could have it for their own personal use for a whilst. As I have said before provided that the applicant is being a decent fee for the use of a closed road, just as I would have to pay to hire any of the Govts sports or entertainment facilities then I will leave it to the Govt if the fee etc from an event is worth the disruption to others as there is no perfect answer

Whilst I don't have a great opinion of Mr Flint I hope that I do not let it reflect my opinion on the event. However I am not into cars and bikes and see enough idiots with their foot to the floor to not be over enthusiastic with the idea that to try and attract interest for the event that organiser refers to driving recently at 100mph on open roads or that part of the event is called the "dawn raid" where the suggestion is that the cars are "opened up" and that there will be a similar "blast" over the mountain one afternoon However provided it is run safely I hope it earns money for Island but it does seem pricey compared to something like Race the Rock  https://straightlinersonline.co.uk/events/category/78-race-the-rock.html which seems to have more based at Jurby which as a road user makes me more comfortable. I am sure participants from both may at times not be sensible on open roads but it seems one is trying to "sell" their event based on what you can do on open roads in the IoM

Just to add my two pennerths worth, personally in some respects I couldn’t be bothered if this event takes place or not. I’m very sceptical and cynical, I suppose I can see through some of the flim flam and bullshit. It’s a private promotion/ tour so they will either make a profit or loss, which is their problem. What concerns me is the road closures aspect either for the Sloc, and Castletown Square for these ‘Supercars’ to parade and park up. The public and some posters on here have every right to have their say, whether it’s right or wrong. If the organisers are paying a hefty and extortionate amount for a high PC PLOD presence and full Fire Appliance presence, coupled with all the necessary insurances etc, then great. It should be pointed out, that the Festival of Jurby Organisers have to jump through more than a Crufts Agility Course, being charged ridiculous amounts for ‘X’ Police Officers and Fire Service Appliance attendance - at a cost of ‘£X’ per hour. This is endless red tape designed to kill the event, or to let IOM Government have total control. I hope IOM Government dont bend over more favourably for one group involved in motorsports tourism over others. 

The Festival of Jurby is a mass gathering. They’ve had some catching up to do on the event organization side to meet requirements, which is because it’s been such a hit.

The Cannabis parallel is interesting La Columbe. Personally, I’d have seen it legalised 30years ago. Total waste of police resources, and a missed opportunity for control and taxation. 

For the record, I’m not necessarily averse to the concept of ‘renting’ the road. As long as it is equitably applied. It’s at that stage it falls down. It would kill the TT and rallying for a start.

It's quite depressing really to realise just how entrenched the yobbish, anti social speed freakery culture is in the island's institutions. I suppose that sort of mentality has inevitably been attracted to move to the island over the years, and the appalling road safety record is the inevitable result of that. There will never be a sensible national speed limit until there is a real tragedy. And there probably won't be even then. 

Archived